Gyro/Accelerometer Issues w/ iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by SixSlinger, Jun 17, 2014.

1. SixSlinger macrumors regular

SixSlinger

Is anyone else having a gyro/accelerometer issue with an iPhone 5s? During compass calibration, the ball rolls on it's own, and the parallax effect acts as if I am constantly moving the phone.

I chalked it up to a beta 1 bug, but it's still present on my phone in beta 2. Same issue with a fresh installation and setup as new iPhone. My Retina iPad mini is having no issues (on beta 1 or 2), and the iPhone had no symptoms prior to iOS 8.

I reported the bug to Apple, but evidently it's rare

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Does it happen under iOS 7? Also was the device dropped recently that could cause this issue?

3. SixSlinger thread starter macrumors regular

SixSlinger

Never happened under iOS 7. No damage to device (I'm sure of this, as I don't have any kids, and I take care of my gear).

It's the most bizarre thing...I guess it's possibly a hardware issue, but if so it would be a heck of a coincidence that the gyro failed at the exact same time I installed iOS 8!

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well. I would try throwing it in DFU mode and bringing it to iOS 7.1.1 again and retesting. Could be a issue with a small amount of devices under iOS 8.

5. SixSlinger thread starter macrumors regular

SixSlinger

Ahh, I hadn't thought of DFU. If I go back to 7.1.1 and it works properly, I'll try an update back to beta 2.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Good idea! At least you can test it then.

7. SixSlinger thread starter macrumors regular

SixSlinger

Quick update....I went back to 7.1.1 and the compass/gyro was still off. I got in touch with Apple and they are considering it (rightly so) a hardware failure, so getting it swapped out. Thanks for all the help!

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problem. Glad to hear you got no issues getting the repair done.