H.264 to ProRes MPEG Streamclip issue

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kees Braam, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Kees Braam macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem with converting my Canon 7D footage. As most people suggest, the video looks better in the ProRes codec, which is what I'd like to try. The only issue is that MPEG Streamclip let's me choose a lot of different codecs except Apple ProRes? What could be the problem? Is it just the version of MPEG Streamclip or could it be something else?

Thanks,

Kees Braam

2. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

I'm not sure what editing application you are using, but if you're using FCStudio then there is no need to use mpeg streamclip at all (even though its a great app)!

If you're using the Canon 7D then you are better importing files directly in to an FCP project. The Canon Plugin-E1 For FCP will take allot of the strain of converting files to then edit with.

Prores in all forms is supported in the plugin, at it really makes life easier as you can import directly off the SD/Flash Cards.

take a look :-

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3249

3. rhkamra macrumors member

You will need to have the Final Cut Studio suite installed on the system running MPEG Streamclip in order to have the ProRes codec option available. By default Apple computers have a ProRes "decoder" installed, which will allow you to play ProRes files, but for authoring/transcoding files in that codec you'll need the Final Cut suite.

4. Dale Campbell macrumors member

To confuse things a bit more - you could also use 5DtoRGB
    http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/
    Many people are of the opinion this handles to transcoding of footage much better than either mpeg streamclip or the FCP plugin.
    Personally I still use MPEG Streamclip for most footage.... usualy with prores422

5. Kees Braam thread starter macrumors newbie

That was EXACTLY the answer that I was looking for! Thanks a lot mate! Now, the only problem is that I don't have FCP or FCE yet. I'm still working with some trial versions of the Adobe software (which is great).

6. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

ProRes won't make the footage look any better. It's just a codec better suited to editing in FCP.

With CS5 you can try editing natively or transcode to an intermediate codec that comes bundled with Premiere.

7. boch82 macrumors 6502

Finally someone who actually understands this. We shoot with a 7D as a B/C camera on a lot of shoots. One guy here always fights us when we archive the final piece as a quicktime since we use h264. The 7D shoots H264 and you dont get any better quality by transcending. Just and easier workflow and less render time.

8. qveda macrumors regular

9. boch82 macrumors 6502

I dont think so....

Better off converting to AIC from Mpeg stream clip the pull those files into FCE

10. qveda macrumors regular