H.264 transcode

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Evan-26, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Evan-26 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am going crazy trying to decide what is the best tool (preferably free but not essential) to transcode a large collection of all types of video to H.264

Since i have a feeling this is going to take a while (~2TB of avi's,mkv's etc) i think i want to use some powerful hardware...

Although i have a mac its only a dual core, what i would really like to use it my test server which has 2 x X5670 Xeon's. (12 cores @ 2,93ghz & 144gb ram) OS is open, either Windows 2008 R2 or almost any variant of Linux.

Can anybody why has done this on linux/windows suggest the best way to batch convert all these video files ?

Thanks,
    Evan

2. simsaladimbamba

HandBrake can help, though I don't know, if the Windows version is as good as the Mac OS X version, the last time I used it, it was abysmal in Windows.
    But it also has a Ubuntu and Fedora version.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

For the films coded in x264 (.mkvs), you can use for instance iVi (mac, I don't know if it's available for PC), because then only the sound will be processed since the video encoding is the same. It's a lot faster. For the rest, just use Handbrake.

4. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Use MKVTools for this.

5. Evan-26 thread starter macrumors newbie

From my research that's what I was also leaning towards.
    Thanks