H.A.W.X. What a ...... demo. OK....

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by JackAxe, Mar 2, 2009.

1. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I played this on my PC, but it's so overly console in a bad way, that this was the best place to post.

I broke my no UbiSoft clause to download this demo. It started out OK, then it put me into a LAME RC camera mode and forced me to fight this way with my a ridiculous amount of missiles.

This is one of th dumbest fight games I've ever played. I kept on trying to get back into the mode where I'm behind the plane, but it wouldn't let me, as it wanted me to experience this game as a spectator with a RC controller -- I guess they though it was cool, I found it annoying and quite dumb.

This game was designed by a committee of morons and I feel dumber for downloading. It was a waste of my time, so now I feel obligated to waste more time bashing it, which is more enjoyable than playing this stupid game.

Ahhhhhhh. :eek: Avoid this game like the plague, unless you're a tween.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I could have told you that. I played it at PAX last year and walked away slowly.

3. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I wish I had known to ask. :(

4. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

OK, I just tried the second mission and it offers a cockpit view. So I'm no longer annoyed. :eek:

If I had known to skip the first map and go to the second, I would have not been so put off at this game. It's OK, what I expect, just action arcade flight. The RC mode it forced me into was BLASPHEMY and really a dumb thing to do to any new users.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The first level is just to get you used to controls, second level in demo is a lot better.

Graphically the game is pretty from above generally, but its still the same old same old dog fighting routine.

Chase a small little object in the distance until your close enough only to watch it fly past you and become another small little object in the distance. Turn and start again......

These games just numb me.

6. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yep, figured that out. The person that designed the first mission in this demo was numb in the brain. I can't believe they were so dumb as to force that absolutely stupid camera mode on a new user...

I enjoyed games like Strike Commander and Falcon when I was younger, then later FA-18 on the Mac. I'm looking forward to that type of gameplay again, either realistic or somewhat real with an interesting story(These games can be boring for some). Eh, nothing seems to cut it now days.

This game is too arcade-ish, but I'll probably end up buying this GuberSoft title to kill some time. I figured out some more controls, which I liked, as they were unique.

The ground textures look horrid in this game when flying too low to the ground, so anything below a sky scraper. My last flight game was Combat Wings. Its visuals are dated, but its ground detail is much better up close. I have my settings on max, but I would have liked the option to increase the ground texture.

Eh. As much as this demo frustrated me, it was a better experience than The The Last Remnant demo I just tried.

7. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I've never touched a flying game after Rogue Squadron for GCN, they do not interest me. But I thought I'd give HAWX a go to see what the latest flying games are like.

It was alright, but controls seemed pretty difficult at times. I also thought the textures on the ground were terrible.

In short, the demo gave me my fill of this game.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm not into flight games so I'm kinda glad I'm not missing much. when I play Warhawk I never use the jets...I stick to ground transportation.

I'll try the demo though...

Bless

9. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Rogue Squaqron on the Cube is still one of the best arcade shooters. I'm just getting tired of this whole arcade genre -- I really miss games on the level of X-Wing. At least this game lets me fly in the cockpit, where it doesn't feel too awkward like RS, and it has a really good setup for looking around in real time.

I've been wanting a flight game for some time and have even been considering getting a good stick again. But this game would be more or less an appetizer, while I await something better.

I watched a video toeday, and they show planes being action-like as they fly through buildings. I wish this game looked that good up close. The trees in this game look terrible compared to my other flight games, even Battle Field 1942, which is OLD. I know this game is focusing on the high altitude portion, but there are still tanks to kill.

LOL 2nyRiggz, you play a flight game, but only from ground vehicles. :) Doesn't that put you at a disadvantage? Are there flak cannons?

10. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Apparently you can not pull of some moves, unless you're in the DUMBEST camera angle in the history of flight games. So I'm not going to buy this game in its current form.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

LOL:) Yeah the ground vehicles/cannons even out the game for people like me. I usually finish the game with a lot of kills because I do a good job with the sniper riffle and rocket launcher.

I never got the hang of the Warhawks and opt not to use them....I only use them if I'm on a isolated island and need to get to the action.

Bless

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So did anybody get the full game?

I'm thinking of getting it, but not without playing the demo first.

*Goes to 360 to play demo that I just downloaded yesterday*

13. evan g macrumors regular

As a casual gamer, I think I'm going to have to pass. I think the only Tom Clancy merchandise I would buy is one of the books or a Rainbow Six 3 (hopefully not vegas).

14. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

This game is actually pretty casual. It has its perks, but the limitations they intentionally imposed have pushed me away from buying it, at least at full price.

Can't you practice with the Warhawks 2nyRiggz? :) I enjoyed the PS1 game years back, I'd probably like this one.

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm still debating if I should get it or not.

There weren't enough missions in the demo to see if I can get the hang of it, but I did have fun playing most of the demo (Not the part with the assistance turned off)

16. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

gamespot gave the xbox version a pretty good review. not the best source to trust but they also have an average of what all the review sites are giving it and the majority are giving it in the 80s.

its my birthday next week so i will ask for it then. if it sucks then it wont matter.

17. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I thought it was cool that they intertwined the Ghosts with the HAWX team in the demo. I mean it's not earth-shattering since both are within the Tom Clancy universe.

But again, this demo was good enough for me.

18. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I didn't like it. I found the gameplay shallow, and the graphics could be better. So could the sound. The gameplay was far from good, since the aircraft movement was too thick and responsive to be a real aircraft, even for an arcade game.

19. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

This game is pure garbage, spend your money elsewhere.

20. Tybee macrumors member

Tybee

I have to admit, I kind of liked the demo. It's pure arcade, but it was fun, and the graphics are pretty nice.

Thos of you looking for a more involved flight combat game: Have you tried Ace Combat 6?

21. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

I thought the demo was a blast. The game doesn't have anything to do with a sim, it's just arcade action but sometimes that's a good thing (Any Crimson Skies fans out there?).

Nice graphics and over the top action the way they make you skid to a near stall halt and then backflip over other planes.. good times :)

22. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

There's arcade, then there's this. H.A.W.X. is closer to the latter. :)

23. Dohbrain macrumors newbie

Dohbrain

Lolzors, but seriously don't knock the Leapster, its the games console for the future!

I tried the demo PS3 style and wasn't impressed. I'm not buying it.

(PS: I inadvertently made a pun by saying Leapster is for the future, because as they say "Children are the Future".
    God I Hate Puns. They are definitely the lowest form of wit.)

24. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

No you've done it, you've destroyed this thread with your puns. :(

Leapster is good, it was the first thing that popped into my mind as I thought about how UbiSoft made this game so overly simple.

When I think arcade now days, I think of games like Grid, which are still grounded in realism to a degree. HAWX really should have strived for that level, not this hand holding abomination. :)

25. Taustin Powers macrumors regular