H E L P- Water Damage!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by becca0wnz, Jul 17, 2009.

1. becca0wnz macrumors newbie

becca0wnz

Ok so my 2nd gen 32gb itouch was in its silicone case when the screen got slightly wet with sea water near the main menu button. Once i realized it, the screen started to flicker and i immediately hit it with the a/c full blast to dry it off. It kept trying to come back to life. When i got home, i tried to charge it and the pc didnt even recognize the device. :(
    Although it seems to me that all hope is lost, i was reading some other threads that say to check inside the headphone jack and if i see orange, it has water damage. All i see it white, no orange or other colors. I bought this ipod brand new off of ebay a couple of months ago. Should i take the chance and go to the apple store to see if i qualify for a free replacement? :apple: (obviously im not going to tell them it got wet)

If not, should i buy the kit to crack this thing open? Please help me! I'm so sad :confused:

-Becky

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You should let it dry out for a few days.

Just because you didn't see the sensor change color, doesn't mean there is no evidence of water damage.

3. Benny- macrumors regular

Benny-

You could try the rice method which has supposedly worked for other water damaged iPhones and iPods.
    Fill a bowl with rice and place the iPod in the bowl so it is fully covered by the rice and leave it for 1-2 days. The rice should soak up the moisture.
    Alternatively you could place it in a sealed bag with some silica packs (those little white bags you find in shoe boxes or electronic boxes) this should also help absorb moisture.
    I have not tried any of the methods myself so i can't vouch for their effectiveness.

4. becca0wnz thread starter macrumors newbie

becca0wnz

I'm just scared because its salt water and the circuits are very sensitive to any kind of liquid. let alone extremely corrosive ones. I am going to try and put it in some dry brown rice to dry it out and it all else fails i will cry myself to sleep every night.