H&r!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by raven77, Dec 9, 2008.

1. raven77 macrumors member

OK ever since I got my iPhone3G it doesn't seem to "learn" any words I want it too. For instance, when I type "ur" (I know I am too lazy to type "your") it ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS makes it H&R no matter how many times I tell it not too! :mad: It very frustrating, I thought it was supposed to use the word you want after 3 times? Anyone else able to make this work? I am on FW 2.2 and also jailbroken, but it was like this since day 1.
    Also one of my speakers on the bottom of the phone are not working, it seems to only work as a mic...LOL :eek:

2. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

1. Turn off auto correct.

2. There are not two speakers (check out the sticky thread here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=546874). One is a mic the other is a speaker. You can also check the specs on apple's website.

3. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

I suspect the last sentence about the speaker was added for fun!

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Re:#2: he was joking about the speaker.

5. raven77 thread starter macrumors member

1. I know turning off Autocorrect would stop it, but I really shouldn't have to do that. I thought if you corrected the phones correction (lol) it would "learn" what you want after awhile.
    2. This is my first post, so I had to ask a stupid question or it just wouldn't be right (in other words, I was joking)

Thanks for your input!

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

[​IMG]

OP, you can also try the address book 'fix'.

7. raven77 thread starter macrumors member

Yea I thought about that (I am an avid Gizmodo reader), but I keep a pretty clean address book (400+ contacts) and I really didn't want to clutter it up with a bunch of random words. Although sooner or later I will probably get sick of it and do just that! :)
    Thanks for the advice!

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Or you can stop being lazy and actually type like a person that knows how to spell. Just saying.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You really only need one contact. Just list the words you want out in a line in the first and/or last name.

10. raven77 thread starter macrumors member

You are correct, I could do that. In fact I am TRYING to do that, but after almost 10 years of using shorten words for texting its hard to convert!
    PS screw you, I'm not lazy.
    :D

11. raven77 thread starter macrumors member

interesting, I never thought of that. I will give it a try.
    thanks

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Texting shorthand is not being lazy. You only have 160 characters... :rolleyes:

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Maybe use "your"?

You know, you don't have T9 anymore. Getting messages like hi wat r u doin tonite are annoying.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Then I would suggest letting your friends who send those messages know that you don't appreciate it.

Coming on here and telling people how to type is really going to get you nowhere but labeled as a prick. Just saying...

On to my contribution to the thread >>> I have this same problem with using w/ as with. It endlessly replaces it with a/.

Does anybody have a clue what "a/" is supposed to mean?

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I didn't tell anyone how to type. I said facts, and the fact is, your is 2 letters longer than ur, and the iPhone doesn't have T9.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

You're half right. A fact is something that can be proven and your opinion of what's annoying as a text message, AFAIK, cannot be proven.

Either way, I'm not trying to pick a fight. Personally, I like shortening words to make texting easier but when there's a keyboard involved (computer-wise) I'm the biggest grammar nazi out there. So it's definitely not strictly for the grammatically-challenged.

17. raven77 thread starter macrumors member

Yes its only 2 letters longer, but isn't "ur" only 2 letters? That makes typing "your" twice as long! And like someone mentioned earlier 160 is the max for a single text message so I like to try to squeeze it all into one message. I am not being lazy, its also just a habit, even if I am only typing a quick, short sentence. I don't do it with email, only texts.
    I really don't see why you find it annoying. Ur probably the only one!
    :D

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well I don't really get annoyed, it just looks weird. Yes I'm weird too.

Anyways. I never even consider using just 160. I just type all i want to say and send it.

19. raven77 thread starter macrumors member

With some receiving phones it doesn't seem to matter to much, but with others it splits the message and makes it very difficult to read.
    I am pretty weird too, so don't feel bad...lol

20. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

Raven77, what country are you in? I can type "ur" without getting any suggestions. Maybe your iPhone learned “H&R” by mistake. Try resetting the keyboard dictionary and see if that helps.

21. raven77 thread starter macrumors member

USA>Pennsylvania (Is Pennsylvania a Country?)
    I tried resetting dictionary, no luck! There are a bunch of other words it won't learn also, but I just can't seem to remember them right now. Sucks that yours works and mine don't, wanna trade?
    ;)