H264 accelerator for Mac Pro ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nycaleksey, Feb 6, 2010.

1. nycaleksey macrumors member

nycaleksey

My expensive MacPro is too slow to playback 1080p video encoded by a camcorder in H264 while small Popcorn Hour with Sigma chip can play it back flawlessly. Is there a way to get hardware accelerator for H264 video playback for MacPro ?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What kind of Mac Pro do you have? And what kind of graphics card is in it?

3. goodcow macrumors 6502a

I encode 1080p H264 and play it back fine on my MacPro (4,1 2.26 octo) all the time.

However, if you're trying to QuickLook it, you can't just click through the preview bar and expect it to play back smoothly or instantly. The trick is to hold the mouse down at a certain segment for a second or two until it gets the nearest keyframe to decode smoothly.

If that isn't your problem, then sorry, I'm of no help, but I would also love an H.264 encoder card for my machine.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Hardware acceleration depends on the software you are using to playback the files.

VLC does NOT support hardware acceleration, hence it does not play 1080p files without stuttering.

Try QuickTime X, it get's all the hardware acceleration from the graphics card and plays 1080p files flawlessly.

5. maghemi macrumors 6502

Something must be wrong with your machine. I have no problems with playback on my Mac Pro in any programs.