Ha Ha! I just worked over TiVo!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lord patton, Feb 23, 2008.

1. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Backstory: I wanted an AppleTV and an HDTV for awhile, so I took the plunge recently (rentals, AirTunes, and price drop sealed the deal). The only catch was this would result in a avalanche of additional spending: Got an HD, need HD service. Got HD service, need an HD DVR.

Well, to save some cash, I decided to try the Comcast HD DVR. There was no cost to rent the hardware, and the service fee was just $1 more than we were paying for TiVo. That would save $300, I figured. The wife pretty much silently protested... she knew this was the sensible thing to do, but she REALLY loved her TiVo.

Well, after two days with the craptastic Comcast HD DVR, the wife and I decided that we're not so poor that we have to live with ****. Oh well. We tried the cheap way, and it wasn't tolerable... as my wife has said many times in the last two days, "It's like using a ****ing PC."

So I of course looked at Amazon, which has the $300 box for $255. But I also thought that since TiVo lives of subscription revenue, they might be willing to cut me a deal to keep me sending 'em money every month.

So I just called them and told them I was going to cancel my subscription. I like TiVo, I said, but now we need HD and we don't want to buy a box when the cable company will let us have one for free.

So, the nice lady offered me a brand new box for $200. Score. Then she offered me the wireless-G network adapter for $30, which is again cheaper than Amazon. Score x2. (If we prepay 3 years of service, we get what is effectively a $170 savings versus the cost of paying month to month. Score x3).

Of course, the title of this post should probably be that TiVo worked ME, since they just got $230 for the box/network adapter plus $300 for 3 years of service. But I looked at my options and realized that going with comcast wasn't worth getting divorced over (the wife REALLY loves TiVo). And I managed to save a bunch of money that I would have parted with had I been stupid/lazy.

2. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i have tivo and absolutely hate it, it's so ridiculously slow (i joke that it needs a ram upgrade) and i can't stand that as soon as you pull up the now playing list or the menu (which takes about three seconds to respond) you can't continue to watch what you had on.

i had a DVR with time warner cable a few years ago and i miss it dearly, i just can't have a DVR where i am right now so i went with tivo, but as soon as i can go back to a cable DVR, i will in a heartbeat.

3. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Tivo never took off her in the UK, but Sky+ and Sky HD is great, could not live without it!

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Theres TiVo in the UK?

Didnt they go out of buisness or something?