Ha! Take that processors! you needed a workout!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BiikeMike, Oct 19, 2007.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I'm getting ready for a business trip to California, and thats a long flight from Virginia. not to mention the 3 layovers each way.

So, I decided I was going to rip some stuff for my iPod Touch.

I am currently encoding 20 episodes of House from my previously ripped images, while at the same time ripping my new copy of Employee of the month. With MacTheRipper, HandBrake, and various other small apps, my 2.66 quad is maxed out!

I have 1.25% processor left, and this thing is as quiet as if it were sleeping

I love my mac pro :)

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I love my Mac Pro too. I always give it work to do. When its not encoding videos, it's doing SETI@Home.

The fans never turn up, it's an awesome computer.

3. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

I don't know why I feel like you are a big fan of Dane... and so am I! Keep up the Su-Fi!

4. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

5. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Dane Who?

;)

6. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I always laugh when people say that their mac pros are as quiet as if they were sleeping. It's not true, its just that most people live or work in environments that completaly drown out the sound of the computer. The mac pro makes a considerable amount of noise, even when idle, when placed in a quiet room.

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Well compared to any machine I've used, that includes laptops, this Mac Pro is quieter than all of them.

I have 5 hard drives in it, so you have to give it a break.

8. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I said it was as quiet as when IT was sleeping, not as quiet as when I was sleeping ;)

But I have to agree, Compared to every grey box I've ever had, my Powermac G3, My Powerbook G4, my MacBook Pro, and even my Ladies MacBook, this thing is quiet! Especially for 3 hard drives, 5 gigs of ram, and 2 dual processors.

9. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Can you assign how much processor power you want for each program? Or does it detect it automatically?

10. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

When the Mac Pro sleeps, (and when any Post 2003 Apple Desktop sleeps), the computer becomes as quiet as when it's off. Everything shuts down except for the light on the front.

11. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

lol I remember back when using a Cray C90 that you had to keep it busy since it was an expensive machine and idle time is wasted money. Sucker always had jobs going to squeeze every cent possible.

Now my system load average is 0.23 0.25 0.25
    98.3% idle this morning(with parallels running full screen on my wifes user session she cannot get used to OS X). The Irony is the Mac Pro is much faster running the same workload the C90 did for a fraction of the price. Times sure have changed

12. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Still makes a lot less noise than my PCs I used to build in chieftec dragon cases with those fans running.

[​IMG]

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The noisiest element of my Mac Pro has to be the ATI X1900 XT. I'd imagine users of the base nVidia card would find the system much quieter. Different hard drives can also be noisy.

My system, on the whole, is incredibly quiet. Makes my old Dell Precision 670 sound like a hovercraft. All I really hear is the graphics card and one of the hard drives.

I don't hammer my processors too much personally, but it serves my network (running OS X Server and providing login accounts and storage to the client machines) without blinking.

Hurrah for the Mac Pro ;)

14. thxdave macrumors member

That sure looks like an Antec case to me, especially since I have that same exact case sitting here next to me. I'll be happy to turn it into a Linux home server box when I get my MP! ;)

15. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Antec makes the same case also. I gave my custom PC away, I still have another one I want to get rid off. I am done with PCs :)

A funny note a friend of mines got hooked when he saw my mac pro in action and went and got one, he went whole hog pretty quick and dumped his PC so freaking quick. RDF effects I guess.

16. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I'm currently ripping two videos and my processors are sharing the load nicely. Close to 150% for each video on my quad 3 Ghz. There's lots of memory left too.

I kind of wish I could get one of these new Penryn Mac Pros when they become available because all the apps I use are going to be multicore aware, and it would speed things up quite a bit.