Hack or virus? Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jenndino, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Jenndino macrumors newbie

What does it mean when your MacBook pros mouse starts to move on its own, then opens document folders and the webcam, but when you try to control the mouse again it stops completely. Also when watching Netflix the volume was going down on its own then when we tried to bring it back up then it would go back down again on its own. This has been happening randomly and often, what does it mean?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's not a virus.

Have you installed anything recently?

3. kdog679 macrumors member

Does anyone else in your house have a mac, and have access to controlling your computer? Go to system preferences > Sharing and see if any of those boxes are checked.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You don't have any TouchMouse like software installed do you?

I once had it installed with no password whilst at uni, whilst in the middle of showing a lecture an early edit a piece of work, someone logged into my mac and started ballistically clicking and moving the mouse, they managed to close and almost delete the project purely by chance. I was really angry someone could be so immature, but it was my fault for basically opening up my machine to anyone on the same wifi network with the same app.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Sounds to me like someone has an Apple remote, like for an ATV or similar and the MBP is seeing it. Did the same thing with my wife's new iMac before we realized what it was.

6. that1guyy macrumors 6502

It could be someone playing a prank using Teamviewer.