iPhone hack to identify to network as different iOS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stlblufan, Mar 29, 2013.

1. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

Is anyone familiar with a hack that would allow the iOS device to identify itself to a wifi network as running a different version of iOS than it really is (like an iPhone running 6.1.2 identifying as 6.1.3, for example)?

Thanks!

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

how is it detecting your iOS version? if it's just using the user agent of your browser that would be easy to change.

3. stlblufan thread starter macrumors regular

stlblufan

that's a really good question. i think that in this case it's exchange server that is detecting the OS version of clients accessing it (via the stock mail app), but i'm not entirely sure. the network is refusing access to exchange for clients on 6.1.X below 6.1.3.

4. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

The server administrator has done that. There was a bug in iOS 6.1 that caused problems for exchange servers so many admins blocked it. However that was supposedly fixed in 6.1.2.

There is probably a jailbreak tweak to change the firmware version number but that is subverting the wishes of the IT department. Do they use iPhone configuration tool?

Mike

5. stlblufan thread starter macrumors regular

stlblufan

My understanding also was that 6.1.2 fixed the Exchange issue, so being forced up to 6.1.3 seems overkill, but alas that is the situation. Maybe it's to avoid jailbroken devices.

I have no idea if they use the iPhone config tool -- I don't believe so. There aren't any profiles or the like installed on the device.

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist-->ProductVersion key

Mike

7. stlblufan thread starter macrumors regular

stlblufan

thanks, i'll give that a shot!