Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pidge1114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
When I go to get the new 3G iPhone, I take it Apple takes the SIM card from my current iPhone and puts it in the new one. If my current iPhone is hacked, does that affect it any way of me getting the $199 price?

I only ask because technically the warranty is voided, but I am not sure how that would matter in the eyes of Apple upon buying a new one. If they see my iPhone is hacked, do they care when I am buying a new one?

All I want is a 3G iPhone for the $199 price.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
When I go to get the new 3G iPhone, I take it Apple takes the SIM card from my current iPhone and puts it in the new one. If my current iPhone is hacked, does that affect it any way of me getting the $199 price?

I only ask because technically the warranty is voided, but I am not sure how that would matter in the eyes of Apple upon buying a new one. If they see my iPhone is hacked, do they care when I am buying a new one?

All I want is a 3G iPhone for the $199 price.

good question......Mines jailbroken and unlocked also...

pidge1114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
also, if it does matter, and I just restore the 1.1.4 system unjailbroken so I can get the new one, is it possible to then hack the old one if there is no SIM in it? can I take the SIM back out of the 3G and back into the old to hack it?

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Dude, what's Apple going to say, "Oh, you voided your warranty on your previous product, freeing us from liability to fix it. YOU MAY NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER PRODUCT OF OURS AGAIN."? It won't be a problem, dude. Just in case there's compatibility issues I'd switch over the SIM to "unjailbroken," but seriously, it would make no sense for an Apple employee to hold it against you.

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
also, if it does matter, and I just restore the 1.1.4 system unjailbroken so I can get the new one, is it possible to then hack the old one if there is no SIM in it? can I take the SIM back out of the 3G and back into the old to hack it?

They may not even use your old SIM... What happens when you want to hand down your old phone to your little brother or whatever? They gotta have a SIM, too.

The carrier (AT&T) will just disable the current SIM and move your phone number over to your new SIM. When the old phone is activated on a different account, they'll move (or create) the new number to that SIM.

The carrier rep will be able to look up your account and know if you are currently using an iPhone or not. You probably don't even have to have the current phone with you.

I've read somewhere that in the US, there will be an orange shirt wearing AT&T rep at the Apple stores that will be handling your activations. The Apple store reps might handle the $$ transaction, but not until the AT&T rep says they're good to go. And I'm sure they have the same connection to their system that the reps at an AT&T store have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.