Hacked a iBook battery to work in PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iModFrenzy, Jan 19, 2016.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

So I almost never use my G3 due to the lack of power. It's more of a desktop now since I don't really bring it with me either.

Since my only PBG4 doesn't have a battery, I decided it would be better put to use in that. I also plan to take my PowerBook with me to school,etc. Most of you know that NuPower batteries are expensive, which I don't have 80+ to shell out.

Then an idea popped in my head, why not use my G3 battery in my G4. I proceeded to take apart the battery till I was left with the internals.
    [​IMG]

The battery fit snug in the battery compartment. I then started to seal it. I didn't have electrical tape so I used metal tape, LightBulbFun pointed out that it could short out the battery so I needed to insulate it. I took an old video game case and cut out the plastic to fit the battery compartment.

[​IMG]

I then taped it using metal tape.

[​IMG]

The dirty job is done. Now I realize that I took apart a perfectly fine battery. By all means, rant about it but I feel it was better than it sitting around doing nothing. Selling something would be a process due to my parents. And here's the end result.

[​IMG]

All in all, it feels solid and not loose.

I am aware it's not pretty but I don't care much about that as long as it portable.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

3. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

And have it blow up on my lap? No thank you :p

Again, I don't care if it looks bad.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Had lots of aftermarket batteries for PowerBooks, iBooks and MacBook Pros (upwards of 10). Never had one "blow up" or hurt the machine. They don't last as long as OEM, but jeez its $15...

5. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Eh still lol,the deed is done.

6. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

If you ever feel up to it, you should be able to pack the cells back into the original PowerBook battery housing. That's assuming it hasn't been damaged too thoroughly ;)