Hacked? A LogMeIn question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Whpprsnppr, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Whpprsnppr macrumors newbie

Hey, all! I was curious... I am in a hotel and tried to use their wifi (to find another hotel, incidentally). I know not to buy anything, do banking, etc., on such a public system. When I had no luck signing on, I called the front desk and was connected to their provider company. They asked for my Hardware Address (in my Network Utility), saying they needed to 'find' me. I gave it to them. They told me a bunch of hooey about how safe their network was, but i'm pretty sure no open network is safe.
    Anyway, no luck after an hour of trying to connect, so I gave up and tried playing an offline game. There was no sound (!), which was a mystery for another half hour. I finally found that the Sound (in System Preferences) had suddenly been hijacked by LogMeInSoundDriver, and so I clicked on the Internal Speakers option and got my sound back.
    I did have LogMeIn software loaded long ago, but I did not knowingly access or use it in the last two years. Why did it just happen tonight, all of a sudden? Was someone trying to hack me? Did they try to log in/see what I was doing/access my files? Can they do so?
    I am a bit worried, and I'd appreciate any input or advice.
    Thanks!
    Jen

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They would not have been able to login to your machine without your explicitly allowing it by clicking an approval. It sounds like just a coincidence. Maybe you selected the logmein profile while you were messing with settings trying to get connected.