Hacked accounts - a virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mozillafirefox1, Feb 18, 2015.

1. mozillafirefox1 macrumors newbie

This month I noticed that an unauthorized payment on my paypal has been made and there are random addresses I have no connection to associated with the account. I settled the resolution with paypal and had my account closed. Today, I received an email from playstation network which I have not used for multiple years that a 0$ transaction was executed... There is a specific email-password combination I used for these accounts and I checked other accounts for which this combination was used and discovered my twitter and some other accounts were compromised. However, my actual email it seems, was not hacked because I used a different password. So I changed the passwords on all of my compromised accounts and I am a mac user. Does this give any suspicion of a virus on the mac like a key logger? And what further steps can I take to further protect?

Many Thanks

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If I am not mistaken, the Playstation website was compromised not long ago. That may be where your trouble stems from.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Most likely the PlayStation hack mention or one of the other many hacks that have happened over the past few months. If you use the same userid/password on different sites then that's where your problem lies. All it takes is a hack of one site to get access to multiple sites.

Start using a good password manager like 1Password or LastPass and create long, strong passwords for each site that are different.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Was the password a strong one? Possible it was just brute-forced and then that valid combo has been tested against other common systems.

There is no actual virus in the wild for OS X but possible you were phished via a redirect/malware or adware.

A key logger would have required you to enter the admin password to install it, did you get prompted for your admin password anytime other than when installing known good/original software?

5. mozillafirefox1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear Simonsi,

I did install some software i shouldn't have an authorized it with administrative details like passwords. I am dearly afraid there might be a key logger or some trojan spyware that will prompt this issue to be deeper than it is. Any thoughts?

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Well what software and from where? Difficult to offer any advice on the basis of it being "some software".

7. mozillafirefox1 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Could be anything then.

I'd run adwaremedic or do a wipe and fresh install but install any apps fresh, don't restore from a recent backup, then migrate your user data - this assumes you have a Time Machine backup?