Hacked accounts - a virus?

mozillafirefox1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
This month I noticed that an unauthorized payment on my paypal has been made and there are random addresses I have no connection to associated with the account. I settled the resolution with paypal and had my account closed. Today, I received an email from playstation network which I have not used for multiple years that a 0$ transaction was executed... There is a specific email-password combination I used for these accounts and I checked other accounts for which this combination was used and discovered my twitter and some other accounts were compromised. However, my actual email it seems, was not hacked because I used a different password. So I changed the passwords on all of my compromised accounts and I am a mac user. Does this give any suspicion of a virus on the mac like a key logger? And what further steps can I take to further protect?

Many Thanks

glenthompson

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
This month I noticed that an unauthorized payment on my paypal has been made and there are random addresses I have no connection to associated with the account. I settled the resolution with paypal and had my account closed. Today, I received an email from playstation network which I have not used for multiple years that a 0$ transaction was executed... There is a specific email-password combination I used for these accounts and I checked other accounts for which this combination was used and discovered my twitter and some other accounts were compromised. However, my actual email it seems, was not hacked because I used a different password. So I changed the passwords on all of my compromised accounts and I am a mac user. Does this give any suspicion of a virus on the mac like a key logger? And what further steps can I take to further protect?

Many Thanks
Most likely the PlayStation hack mention or one of the other many hacks that have happened over the past few months. If you use the same userid/password on different sites then that's where your problem lies. All it takes is a hack of one site to get access to multiple sites.

Start using a good password manager like 1Password or LastPass and create long, strong passwords for each site that are different.

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Was the password a strong one? Possible it was just brute-forced and then that valid combo has been tested against other common systems.

There is no actual virus in the wild for OS X but possible you were phished via a redirect/malware or adware.

A key logger would have required you to enter the admin password to install it, did you get prompted for your admin password anytime other than when installing known good/original software?

mozillafirefox1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
Dear Simonsi,

I did install some software i shouldn't have an authorized it with administrative details like passwords. I am dearly afraid there might be a key logger or some trojan spyware that will prompt this issue to be deeper than it is. Any thoughts?

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Dear Simonsi,

I did install some software i shouldn't have an authorized it with administrative details like passwords. I am dearly afraid there might be a key logger or some trojan spyware that will prompt this issue to be deeper than it is. Any thoughts?
Well what software and from where? Difficult to offer any advice on the basis of it being "some software".

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Could be anything then.

I'd run adwaremedic or do a wipe and fresh install but install any apps fresh, don't restore from a recent backup, then migrate your user data - this assumes you have a Time Machine backup?