hacked by a Cambodian help number microsofterrorreport.com

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dubina, Sep 3, 2014.

1. dubina macrumors member

When i try to use Safari on my iMac, I am warned to scan for (something) and call 855-658-5973.

I did a reverse lookup and there is no such area code in the US; it is a Cambodian code.

The warning page identifies as microsofterrorreport.com. Once the warning page appears, I have three choices: either to click "OK" (to begin their scan) or to open Chrome instead of Safari or to shut down and reboot the iMac.

I think I do not want to "OK" their scan.

Any thoughts on what to do?

Thanks,

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

3. dubina thread starter macrumors member

@ Tumbleweed666

Chrome works, but I don't use it much and I don't know what idiosynchrocies it might have now that I do not recognize. Anyway, the entrapment message only appears with Safari.

4. eduardrw macrumors 6502

You either have your default website set to a site which gives you those messages or you installed a malware add-on.

Open Safari then:
    - goto menu Safari - Preferences - General
    change the start page to something like : www.apple.com. Then try it again by quitting Safari and opening it again. If that does not help:
    - goto menu Safari - Preferences - Extensions
    Delete all suspicious extensions. Quit and restart. If this does not help
    - goto menu Safari - reset Safari.
    Checkmark all categories. Quit and restart.

5. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

6. JohnPi314 macrumors member

JohnPi314

After doing what eduardrw said to do I'd also install some cyber-security software. DO NOT do the scan. Also, if you see something called macKeeper leave the page - it's a virus, too.

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I think area code 855 is another toll-free area code/prefix like 800, 866, 877 and 888.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Safari and look in preferences and remove any extensions in the extensions tab. Go to the Safari menu at the top and click the Reset Safari menu and check all the boxes then click reset.

Then use Chrome to download this adware/malware removal tool and run it then tell us what it finds.

Think back a bit... did this seem to start at the same time you downloaded and installed any new software?