Hacked by a " FRIEND " ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MAD-RZR, Oct 6, 2011.

1. MAD-RZR macrumors newbie

Hello

well gota start by saying am new to the Mac world, so i hope this explain wat am about to ask ...

first am using an iMac OS X 10.6.8 - and its a second hand, well am not sure if you could consider it a second hand, but in a perfect condition, considering the fact i got it from my " FRIEND " for free, or as an exchange for some hook ups ( leaving in it to that )

well the problem in short is that i am trying to figure out if someone else got access to this computer over the net, considering that my " FRIEND " had this computer under his hands and he could've installed any of the spy software or even hacked the system in a way that he could access it over the net discreetly for further future use, and am sure he got his good background in programing, several operating systems.

so in short what got me thinking all of this is the following ....

- Slow internet connection althou am using a really fast internet connection, fiber optic tech. and also the net is only slow when am using this iMac

- missing Emails, and files, on my emails and on my iMac

- weird sound from the iMac like its processing something when am not even touching it.

- i have to reestablish my wireless connection from time to time like am loosing to another machine that is connected to my internet network.

in another words i had my reason to take my iMac to a certified Apple service center in my town to fully format and upgrade my OS ( i think it was 10.2.7 not sure). i also explained to them my problems and my doubts and they assured me it wont be a problem.

Here where i want you guys to help me out doing it my self, or reassuring myself PLEASE ( my family also use this iMac ) - How could i make sure that no other computer is connected to this iMac thru a port or Desktop control Utility - or even spyware/keylogger
    Also whats the best way to restrict access to this Computer

i just wanted to be spesific about my info and problem so you guys could help me out as much as possible .....

R.I.P. :apple: S.J.

2. TPadden macrumors 6502a

How do we know it's you asking the questions and not your "friend"? :eek:

3. wilsonhaven macrumors member

4. MAD-RZR thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point, but if am the one hacking the iMac, why would i want to clean it from a any spywares or keyloggers .... or try to figure out who else is infiltrating the computer, i guess to be a hacker you would already know these basic things !??

And how do i do that !? Dont you think they should've done that at the service center .... Cuz as i mentioned i specifically asked for a full Format and installation for a newer OS

i appreciate the replays ppl

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Turn off Airport and unplug the ethernet cable.

6. MAD-RZR thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that wont solve my problem when am using my computer and online ... well i hope i get some serious help over here, cuz this subject is important, not for general knowledge ....:mad:

7. simsaladimbamba

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

After that is done, go to System Preferences > Security > Firewall > START to start the firewall.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Go to system preferences and take a look at your login items. If there is something there you don't know about or recognize, try hitting "-" to take it off the list and log out and log back in. You could also turn on the firewall now rather than waiting until after a new install.

Another option is to create a new user account for yourself. Make it an admin account. Log out of your current account and log in as the new account and see if any of the issues persist. If this solves your problem, you can copy your files over to the new account and simply delete the old account.

Either of these options could save you from needing to do an erase and install, not that an erase and install is such a big deal on a Mac.

You do realize you need to back up all of your files before you do the erase and install, right? Since you got the machine recently, chances are you won't have that much stuff to back up. You can probably grab a usb stick for under $20 that would hold all your stuff. Also any apps your friend bought and you don't have the install dmg files or cds won't come back after an erase and install.

9. MAD-RZR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Well ppl, appreciate the help, ill give a shot each method and ill update yall :cool: