hacked by stage 5 stalker...advice please.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 3rdpath, Apr 1, 2009.

1. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    ok, this isn't an april fool's joke...though i wish it was.

i just found out that a girl i've been dating got into my computer and copied or read a bunch of my emails. nice, huh? anyway, i think she did it while she was at my house and i was running some errands. i had logged out but i think she used 1-password to get back in( damn those group buy gadgets!)

i've changed my email password and run MacScan to make sure there's no nefarious software installed such as keyloggers/remote access etc.

besides deleting her from my life, is there anything else i should install, change, check, remove from my mac pro? i use a landline modem so there's no airport access.

thanks for your advice.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wait, so you dumped her for reading your emails?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

And copied. I would definitely dump her too.

Unless she's awesome with computers you'd likely be able to notice anything malicious on the machine. How did you detect the email reading/copying?

4. 3rdpath thread starter macrumors 68000

3rdpath

she told me. they were old old emails to/from a girl i dated. like i said, stage 5...

she's actually not computer savvy-i've had to help her with many easy issues on her mac. i'm guessing she saw me use 1-password. i did notice that my "sent" and "trash" folders were dumped on the day she was here. i never empty/delete anything cuz i live alone and quite frankly, my emails don't contain anything of value...except to a stalker. so i'm figuring she forwarded them to her email account then deleted the sent/trash folders.
    she also cleared the browser history. oh well, hope she enjoys the juicy tidbits...

so IYHO i'm good from anything other hacking? MacScan and Norton enough to protect me? is there an install history i can check?

thx.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Since she isn't so computer savvy, if she installed something, it would likely be in the Application folder, which you can scroll through to see if anything isn't familiar. Some checks you can do though;
    In addition, as Jethryn Freyman said, change your password, for both your computer account and your email, just to be sure.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if he can

8. RoninXI macrumors regular

I have never had a good experience with Norton so I agree. Change your passwords, she may have more than just the email password and since you dumped her she may be willing to use it.

9. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

10. gungadin macrumors newbie

1Password?

Changing Passwords is of course the obvious first step.

I hope you have a separate 1Password login from your administrator Pword like they suggest that you do. I am a MacNewby but that seems to be a basic safety standard operating procedure...I love the efficiency of 1Password and threads like this make me nervous for a minute or two.

But then I realize that if you follow the suggestions for 1Password a casual observer would only see your login Pword being used a lot. Keep 1Password locked until you need it.

Like I said I am so new to all of this...maybe I am wrong.

11. 3rdpath thread starter macrumors 68000

3rdpath

thanks for the helpful advice.

as far as i can tell, nothing was added to the machine. i did change all of my PW's.

sheesh, i honestly thought i could trust her...silly me.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes indeed, silly you hahaha.