Hacked Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by astojazz1, Jun 17, 2014.

1. astojazz1 macrumors newbie

Whats up Everybody?! I am still somewhat new to macs but I was curious about looking up my user accounts through terminal on my macbook pro late 2011, Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I checked out a couple of forums and tried out this command line in terminal: dscl . list /Users | grep -v "^_". after I typed it in my four main user accounts popped up plus a "root", a "daemon" and a "nobody". What are the "root", the "daemon" and the "nobody" accounts? Why is there even a "nobody" account? Is this a hacker created hidden account? Thanks everyone.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

root and daemon are part of the Unix underpinnings of OSX. Root is the super user account that has full access to the system and daemon is a unix process.

wiki

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Although I can't answer your question I will say it's not a hacker, it's never a hacker. Hackers randomly attacking peoples computers is Hollywood BS.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Maflynn!

4. astojazz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wiki
    A quick search brings me this info

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sounds like you need something like the shareware Little Snitch to keep an eye on outgoing data.

8. goMac macrumors 603

No they don't. Sounds like everything is just fine. Nothing was hacked. All those accounts are normal and are on a brand new Mac.

9. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

No disrespect, but if you are "somewhat new on macs" then if you start messing around with terminal commands whilst you clearly don't know what you are doing and are so suspicious as to imagine the first thing you don't understand is a hacker, you are likely to damage something, possibly irretrievably.
    Perhaps get a book on Unix, or create a VM and mess around inside that before a malicious or mistyped terminal command causes you a lot more problems.

10. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Since new to macs (and new to linux/bsd/unix as you have never seen daemon) I am assuming you come from windows. Your windows equivalent would be the term

windows service accounts

basic user accounts created to run system services. Long story short, you or vendor create these accounts to run services to not pester you with password requests for authentication to run the service all the time.

You see root for example as evey linux/unix/bsd os has this as a user. Its the equivalent to administrator in windows. Many flavors (to include mac os being bsd based) disable this account during install after you make that first user name on the install prompt of installer used, but its still there.

11. astojazz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

My instincts are telling me that this "nobody" account is either BS (wikipedia, c'mon no everything on wiki is 100% fact) or that my computer has, in fact, been hacked. Thanks people.

12. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

The nobody account is not BS. It's present in Linux and BSD systems as well and has been for a long time.

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

So, rather than try to understand the real facts about the "nobody" user, which you have been told here is a normal part of any OS X system (and usually on any UNIX system, too), you choose to believe your "instincts" - and want to insult the knowledge of folks who actually want to help you with a good answer, and "dejo" even provided a reference so you can read some more about it.

(Oh, OK, I didn't notice your sarcasm! Ignore my rant, then! )

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Alright, here's some non-Wikipedia pages that state the same thing:
    System Accounts
    Who is the user Nobody?
    Strategies For Setting Up Groups On Unix Systems

If you chose to ignore the knowledge of those you seek help from, that's your prerogative.

15. simsaladimbamba

The fact is, your search-fu is severely lacking, since you would have gotten the right answers within minutes of asking and would have seen yourself, that your computer is not hacked. But then again, CSI: Vancouver and all the other crime procedurals show us citizens how easily a computer can be hacked by nobody.

16. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Here's a screenshot of my OpenBSD system showing the nobody account and info about it

[​IMG]

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nobody is also very skilled in blinding cyclopes.

18. astojazz1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right on ev3rybody. Thanks for the insight, 'preciate it. You all have a good'un and I'll talk to you all later on.