Hacked Gmail account

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irishgrizzly, Oct 5, 2009.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Just found out my Gmail account was hacked. Thankfully it wasn't my main account, just a back-up account that I give to sites when I know they will spam me in future.

While trying to log in a message from Google says "some suspicious activity has occurred, please change your password". I entered my old password and changed to a new one. In my sent emails there where 3 like this;

Hi,
    I bought a TV last week from a website:www.hkeles.com. I have
    received the product. The quality is very good. They also sell
    phones,motor,psp and so on. Because of the financial crisis, their
    products are very cheap. by the way, they only sell new and original
    products .If you need these products, you can have a look . I think
    you will get many benefits.
    Greetings!

Sent to everyone in my address book. Yikes! I'd be gutted if my main account had this happen to it.

The only way I think this might have happened was when creating an account on some site I used the same password as this email account (something I'd not do with my main account).

2. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

It is for this reason that I use a different (and very long) password for my e-mail account than I do for other things.

It could have been much worse, though, so you're very lucky! If that happened on your main account and was done by someone who knew what they where doing, they could have reset passwords for everything, and taken over all your online accounts.