Hacked IPhone on ATT with existing SIM/Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acrafton, Sep 22, 2007.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

Ok, my neighbor wants to get an IPhone and have me help him hack it (no problem) but he wants to use the hacked IPhone on ATT with an existing plan. . .?! I think that ATT will be looking for this on their network and (legal or not) turn off his plan.

He called ATT and asked them "I am looking to buy a new phone and want to just move the SIM to it and keep my current plan, etc. Is that ok?" The ATT rep (after trying to sell him a new phone) told him no problem, that is what SIM cards are for. . .he can keep his plan and move phones.

Now I know one call center operator is not the final arbiter of ATT policy but this seems right. . .until the IPhone came along.

So, have you guys heard of anyone doing this? Has ATT done anything to stop this other than chest-beating? Note that I seriously doubt ATT has any real legal/contractual recourse (a new IPhone doesn't come with an agreement you must sign prior to buying it) but they have lots of lawyers and can turn you off with the flip of a switch. . .

Thoughts?

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I dont think they'll do anything.
    Have him add a data plan also if he's going to use edge.

3. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

I doubt it will be a problem, I used the SIM from my Treo 750w for a day or two and it worked fine, then I switched back to my real SIM.