Hacked my Shuffle to use with AirPods

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mdwsta4, Aug 10, 2017.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

Since purchasing AirPods, I really wanted to use them as a cordless workout solution that was not my phone. I also have zero interest in purchasing an Apple Watch. At first I purchased a 7th gen Nano for $75 thinking it'd work since it has bluetooth, but like many other threads stated, the volume would not go above a whisper.

Then I started to look for bluetooth transmitter/receivers to attach to my shuffle. $15 later... I can now use my Shuffle and AirPods. The solution may not be the prettiest, but it works great! Used electrical tape to connect the two pieces and it's basically like two Shuffles are taped together. Clip still functions so I can clip it anywhere and be on my way. May look for an even shorter cable with L ends, but for the time being this is fine.

If anyone else is interested in doing the same, here's the part: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YCWEBSY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone else done the same or something similar? More elegant solution?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

The bluetooth adapter sends a bluetooth signal out. You would pair like it any other bluetooth device.

4. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, easy to pair. Just have to hold down the button on the back of the AirPods.

5. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

How is the sound quality? I have a similar small BT adapter and the sound coming out of it is clearly inferior compared to the source.

6. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

Doesn't sound any different than using wired headphones

7. SierraNevada macrumors newbie

SierraNevada

Now that's a great idea...I have been sadly disappointed that my 7G Nano can't really be used due to the volume issue. I prefer keeping my music off my phone, plus it's so light weight. I'm sure I can use this transmitter with my Nano and get around the volume issue. One more gizmo, but it's still much more portable than a phone...

8. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

You must have a better quality adapter. Mine is truly disappointing.

9. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

Couldn't tell you. Of course, we're talking about the quality of AirPods. They're not that great to begin with.