Hacked together my old mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Arv3n, May 15, 2014.

1. Arv3n macrumors newbie

I brought my old Mac mini out of the closet, which is a Mid-2011 2.3ghz i5 stock one. I tried putting in an ssd a few months ago, and found out the ssd was defective, so I left it in my closet. Now, I just put it back together as best as I could. I am missing a lot of screws.

1) The fan is hanging down because I can't screw it in. Where can I get the screws and tools required to put this Mac mini back together correctly? I put the bottom cover back on.

2) I am worried with the fan hanging down, that it is not cooling correctly. How can I measure this? What is the normal temperature? It felt warm last night, not sure if this is normal or not.

3) The front led light is not lit up. Pretty sure this isn't normal. How can I get this working again?

Thanks for the help, I want to get my Mac mini back to normal again. I turned it on and the Mac mini functions, I did an internet recovery and OS X Lion is now on here. I am going to upgrade to Mavericks very soon.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

iFixit. Can get the proper tools and parts you will need. Guides to help you get it back together properly.

3. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

powerbookmedic.com also has parts you can buy.

4. Arv3n thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up just taking it to a local computer repair shop, and they fixed it right up.

5. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Smart move……

DIY is fine for those with the equipment and the skills, as well as the time and preparedness to go through "learning experiences" doing things once in a while.

Technicians, who have the required tools and training, do most procedures frequently and have to stand by their work. Where I am a 3 month guarantee is standard. For many, they are cheap at the price.