Hacked via Skype?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ltrousselle, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ltrousselle macrumors newbie

Hi I am a very big computer enthusiast, and i am a very active user of Skype. However I am constantly told by this one man that he is goin to hack me if I don't give him information on myself. I am working on buying a VPN and I regularly shut down my MacBook. I know that my IP address without my VPN is fully visible to him. I have a collection of evidence about him threatening to hack me and I searched him up and he has apparently hacked one or more other people. Before I can get to the police about this, what can I do to protect my computers without a VPN? Any and all help is appreciated.

PS- the reason I am waiting to tell the police is because I am trying to collect as much evidence as i can.

Thank you

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Change your password on the email associated with your Skype account, and be extra vigilant about opening any unknown mail and downloading attachments. Also don't accept file transfers from anyone in Skype you don't know. Don't fall for any phishing. Other than that you have nothing to worry about.

3. Astroboy907, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

1. Never give this man information about yourself. If he is being this... threatening... about getting your personal information I would not hesitate to contact the authorities and report him (probably report him to skype as well). Personal information is probably some of the stuff he uses to hack with. What kind of info is he asking for? Name, SSN, worse?

2. Search for a free VPN (perhaps http://xpdo.net/?), and use that, probably in conjunction with a proxy server, until you can buy your own VPN.

3. Change all your passwords, starting with your email and skype services. Don't use the same password pr everything.

4. Listen to LIVEFRMNYC. Don't open mail unless you are 100% sure you know where it came from. Don't give out your email address. Don't follow links in your mail talking about your bank or USPS, et cetera, better just to go to the site itself and log in instead of getting caught at some fake site.

5 (and this is just being paranoid). Might want to upload the information about him to a cloud service. Just in case he does somehow hack you. Like I said, paranoid, but it's midnight and thinking about a creepy hacker got me thinking :)

4. ltrousselle thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you. I have just recently changed all my passwords and still looking for a VPN.

You were wondering what info he wanted,
    He wanted my name, address, phone #, and all my passwords.

If he has my IP address, what can he do with it, or attempt to do with it?

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Um, probably nothing. Especially if you have a simple WiFi router at home since the IP doesn't even go directly to your computer. This guy sounds like a troll.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

It is pretty easy to hack someone if they have all your passwords...