Hackers or what?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i%questions, Oct 10, 2013.

1. i%questions macrumors newbie

It's the second time in 2 days that for no reason my iMac's display turns black for 3/4 seconds (just as when the vga cable was loose on old computers) and, with me doing nothing, everything is back just after.What else than some hacker joke can this be? I am very unexperienced and have no idea.

2. alexxmac macrumors newbie

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is not something regular hackers do, your machine may be being targeted by the Praetorians...

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Your display could be going bad. What year iMac is it? Do you have AppleCare?

5. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Must be hackerz. Clearly you are an unwitting central figure in a worldwide conspiracy involving the Illuminati, the IRA, and Batman.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

7. i%questions thread starter macrumors newbie

It's 2 weeks old iMac... I am sure it's not a display problem. I hope it's not someone's work, and I'll try to find out things.

----------

I see an intelligence contest is going on, and the 4 of you seem all hard engaged with that. My wishes, and may the best of you achieve victory :apple:

8. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

So you have a display thats occasionally going out, and you're sure its not a display problem? And you think someone might be hacking into your computer for the express purpose of making your display go out for a split second?

I honestly can't see any reason for a hacker to be doing this. Hackers would be going after personal information, not messing with your machine. Hacking into an individuals personal computer is really rare. They break into big companies with valuable data. At most people might get a piece of Malware installed on their computer. That usually takes accidentally installing a piece of software, and is easily avoided with some common sense (don't install anything from an unknown site, etc)

Is any external monitor connected to the iMac. I have seen it do a few weird things on my older iMac when I have another display connected. But its usually not random like you described.

The simplest explaination is that there is just a bad connection somewhere. if its two weeks old, talk to apple and get it repaired/replaced.

9. MeUnix macrumors 6502

It more than likely is a display problem. It's probably not a hacker. Take it into the Apple store you bought it from, they will help you out.

- Kyle