Hackers ????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by noelk, Oct 31, 2008.

1. noelk macrumors newbie

Hi , i hope someone can help me ,i´ve just starting getting used to this iMac after being a windows user.Why? in the sidebar in finder i have in shared 2 connections with a screen beside and a name talitha,i asume that this is someone connected to my computer,can someone tell me how to avoid this so no one can connect in the future.Thanks a lot.

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

They're not hackers, there's no need to worry. if you don't want people to be able to access your computer, go to System Preferences > Sharing, and untick all the checkboxes in the column on the left.

3. noelk thread starter macrumors newbie

Hackers??

Hi chilipie,thanks for the quick reply, i´ve done what you suggest but they are still there, even after turning the connection off, i´m worried that they are phishing or something similar.Can you tell me what they are ,Thanks:confused:

4. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Those items in your sidebar are just other users on the same network. If you have file sharing turned off, they can't access any of the files on your Mac.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar tab -> Uncheck "Bonjour Computers".

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those are other computers who have file sharing enabled, so they appear on the wireless network. If you don't have anything shared, then you can "see" them, but they can't "see" you. You can safely disregard, or hide them using yellow's instructions.

7. noelk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks , youve have sorted it out for me ,i am on a wifi network in an isolated area and the only connection i have is a local network connection to the web,so these 2 names are on the same network,thanks a lot and keep up the good work,your community is the beez neez:)

8. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

On my MacBook (connected to my iMac with internet sharing) I get computers there but they are not on the iMac... Very confusing :confused:

9. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Different settings on your iMac, perhaps?

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Nope, I set it up to show the other computers.