Hacking evidence

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kfltuss, May 18, 2009.

1. kfltuss macrumors newbie

I recently noticed that the name of my hard drive on my desktop was changed to \\][[ppooiuytrewqq (some variation of qwertyuiop backwards...) Is this reason to think that someone has remotely accessed my Mac? I checked into my firewall log and under the install.log there are three separate entries from several days ago that identify this string as a new volume that was installed. What is this? I renamed the hard drive on my desktop but now I'm worried that someone has hacked into my Mac. I've already asked my kids to see if they were fooling around with the keyboard and inadvertently renamed my hard drive.

2. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Why would a hacker do that? no makey the senso.

If you posted the log entries you would get someone here who might be able to help you. As it is, finding a reference to the volume in one of your logs is pretty unexceptional.

If you have no other reason to believe that you've been hacked, I would have to say: relax man! It's going to be alright!

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Which is more likely? Kid or hacker?

If hacker is in your system, they would steal your data without making you aware of what's going on.

Please think about it next time.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Occam's razor..?

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The reason is probably because you did it on accident. If you hit enter on the HD, then a few keys, it would've done that.

Somebody probably ran a hand across the keyboard... do you have a cat?

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Cat?

those keys cluster on a qwerty keyboard. Why the hell would a hacker try to get into your machine, then say "hello" by renaming your drive?

Sounds like simple mistake - all you need is a cat, kid misplaced object onto the keyboard around the enter key, with Finder oipen on your HD (or on the icon on the dekstop and its done.