Hacking Our Way to Passbook

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by XmasRights, Oct 18, 2012.

1. XmasRights macrumors member

Hey All,

I'm a huge fan of Passbook, and it's simplicity with the Starbucks app, but I really want more.

There are sites like PassFu, and PassSource, which can generate custom passes that we can construct ourselves, but they require a text input for a given QR Code.

My question is: if we have a QR Code at hand, is there a way to derive the numerical code that we can then type into PassFu to create a working Pass?

Thanks All,
    Chris

2. urkel macrumors 68030

There really should be a "Bardcode/QR Scan" mode to easily input club cards or data because manually putting things in through a 3rd party site just seems backwards and unintuitive.

But then again, I'll just use the "blame the user for Apples problems" approach and say that I'm passbooking wrong. So far the Starbucks App is the ONLY one that is working right for me so I'm probably just going to go back to using CardStar for club cards and memberships since they seem to have a better approach to inputting and managing data.

3. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Here's an app that scan printed QR codes or decode QR codes that you have in your Camera Roll:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scan/id411206394?mt=8

Here's a website that can decode a QR image that you upload to their site:
    http://www.patrick-wied.at/static/qrgen/

4. Joesmith13245 macrumors regular

I also use cardstar and think it provides good functionality. I get the feeling Passbook was not intended to be used with loyalty cards and more for payment/ gift options. Almost feels like they threw this together once they realized there would be some pushback due the lack of NFC.