Hacking the Powerbook G4 battery -anyone done it?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macstatic, Mar 26, 2008.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

My Powerbook G4 is only 2 1/2 years old, and yet my battery only lasts for a short time. I've read various consumer reports that laptop batteries these days (regardless of computer brand) only last 2-3 years, so this disappointingly seems to be the norm.

A replacement battery from Apple costs quite a bit, so I can't help but think that if I replace the battery cells inside the battery casing myself I could save a bundle. This and this site shows how, but so far I haven't found anything specific concerning the Powerbook G4 battery. Does anyone here have more info on the subject?

By the way, what's the best way to "reset" the battery? My Mac seems to be uncertain of how much power the battery actually has (it might show 45 minutes left, then suddenly turn off) -or maybe this is just a sign of a worn out battery.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

In layman's terms: there's a chemical reaction going on inside a battery that gives off electricity, charging the battery means effectively reversing that chemical reaction so that it can happen again. Over time, the elements used in that recipe start to do that reaction slower, and one day, it stops completely due to many factors(time, use, corrosion etc). This is why your battery doesn't last you much more than 2-3 years.

I would not play inside the battery if I were you.

3. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Must agree with that. Batteries contain acid and other corrosive substances. If you take it apart and start diddling, there's a good chance you could seriously burn yourself.

Not only that, even if you do do it successfully, since you're not (I'm assuming) an electrical engineer, there's also a good chance you could do something wrong and start a fire or cause the battery to explode.

Just get a new one. If you do it yourself, you're bringing the whirlwind...

4. leiniesred macrumors newbie

DIY battery rebuild

I say GO FOR IT! It is just a battery. It isn't like you are rebuilding the space shuttle or anything.

I fully plan on rebuilding my own G4 Original Titanium's battery pack.
    5200mah here I come. I'll be sure to post up on what I learn.

I'm not an electrical engineer, My g4/400 is clocked at 550. I have rebuilt transmissions and engines in cars and trucks. I can do any home remodel. I am a DIY kind of guy. I've been into electric R/C cars and trucks for 20 years. I've built/rebuilt plenty of battery packs. (no LiPos, but hey you have to start sometime!)
    -Peace out.

5. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I'm a DIY kind of guy. But given (at a minimum) the videos of 3000+ degree fires in laptops floating around the Internet, in some cases due to minor battery punctures, I'd think that THIS particular DIY is asking for serious trouble.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Please do not service the battery. You do not want to risk lithium fires.