Hackintosh + 2012 MBA

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macbook2,1, Jul 16, 2012.

1. macbook2,1 macrumors newbie

Okay. So, from what I've read online Snow Leopard will not, unfortunately, run on newer Macbook Airs. The current model I have is the Macbook Air 5,1. Now, from what I've read, the reason SL will not run on Lion is because: 1. Apple said so, 2. SL doesn't have drivers for newer hardware. Obviously, Apple would never provide the necessary drivers for me to upgrade(not a typo) to Snow Leopard. But, as I did some browsing online I suddenly wondered: How is it possible that Hackintoshes exist? I mean, the hardware configuration is different than the Apple machines—some even have AMD processors! Suddenly installing Snow Leopard on a 2012 Macbook Air, doesn't seem so farfetched anymore.

My questions: Has anyone else thought about this idea of having a Mac Hackintosh? Where are the drivers for the different hardware coming from? How hard would it be to get newer hardware drivers for good ol' Snow Leopard?

Lion is not terrible, but it's definitely not my favorite iteration of OS X. I've tried the "golden master" Mountain Lion, but it turned out to be pretty buggy on my Macbook. (I have video proof!!) Though, I do like it better than Lion—simply because it's more Snow Leopard like than Lion—though I dislike the tons of bloatware that's included. I'll probably end up installing ML when the final stable version comes out.

You know, the main reason I want to go back to Snow Leopard is Spaces and Exposé. It's a shame they got beaten into Mission Control. I've tried Total Spaces, but sadly it's not as good. And no, Mission Control isn't better or the same as the previous setup. It tremendously lacks the fluid control of windows and desktops that was once provided by Spaces and Exposé.

2. macbook2,1 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If a hackintosh is your plan, then check out insanelymac.com They're dedicated to hacinotoshs