Hackintosh build $700

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lgoodlove, Aug 20, 2008.

1. lgoodlove macrumors member

Hello, I do some website design and such but I am still in high school... so I do not have the money to go buy the computer stuff I want all the time. Just the stuff I need.

I was looking at buying a macbook pro for the longest time and got the money for it 2 months ago but didn't truely need the computer untill now. I kept putting it off to see the new model come out.

Well after 2 months of hype it still sounds like another month...

I need a good amount of power for little cash and I don't want windowz
    So I want to know if anyone has expertise in hackintosh (OSx86) I want a system that will run out of the box or as close as i can get for just below $700. (i know hardware just not what runs with the x86,)

I love apple and would pay for the MBP but sounds like they really won't be in my time frame.... :(

Thanks for any help

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

google insanely mac. sorry but we cant tell you how to go about building one per say (namely how to get osx on it or how to get the patched osx) but there are threads related to the matter on here. insanely mac has hardware compatibilty lists which tell you what hardware works and whatnot.

However,there are now ways to use the retail osx disc to boot up leopard on a hackintosh too so you dont have to use patched versions if you dont want to!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=460274
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=499678

and here is the search where i got the other mr threads above
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hackintosh+site:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=all&meta=

i personally have

a q6600
    8800gt 512mb
    ds3l gigibyte mb
    4gig of 800mhz ram
    500gig and 80 gig hd

this setup gets a geekbench score of just under 6500 which is pretty good if you ask me

the attached image is around your budget and I KNOW that this config is cheaper now as this is a month or so old. this setup would run osx really well

Attached Files:

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

There are a few threads open already. Please note that it may take a while to wade through, but might contain more useful stuff than you could imagine. :eek:

http://www.insanelymac.com/ may also be of some help. ;)

Good Luck. :)

4. lgoodlove thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help but i knew all that stuff i just wanted to know if any one could point out a system for me i pretty much had all that picked out.

i already went to that forum groop and i just don't like it that much thought i would ask you guys first.

5. lgoodlove thread starter macrumors member

so that gigabit MOB you picked out works out of the box?

I wouldn't mind paying 100$ for a motherboard that won't need patches.

6. macwall macrumors 6502

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The Intel C2D E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor offers good bang for your buck. Much better specs than the Allendales, and at ~$119 it's about $70 less than the Q6600 quad-core (~$189). It overclocks well. I can easily reach 3.3GHz with stock voltages on an el-cheapo power supply that came with an very inexpensive case. I used a Dynatron CPU cooler w/copper base rather than the stock Intel cooler which is fairly noisy and has a really crappy mounting method. If you think you could use the power of the quad, go for the Q6600.

My last Geekbench for the E7200 system (@3.27 GHz) was 4180, which is higher than typical score (3973) of the 24" iMac (Early 2008) C2D E8435 3.1 GHz. The Q6600 systems @ 2.4 GHz (stock speed) usually scores around 4800, overclocked to around 3.0 GHz they typically get around 6000.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

All except the sound which is patched easily

9. lgoodlove thread starter macrumors member

k so is there any mother board that will work without patches?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

have a look here. this link has all compatible hardware components
    http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2

if you get the mobo ive listed earlier, i can point you to a full featured guide that deals specifically with that board ( has all the patches there). very nice guide. just pm me. the reason i got the board i mentioned was because there was a specific guide for it

hope that helps:)