Hackintosh desktop dual boot Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by applepearpp, Nov 8, 2010.

1. applepearpp macrumors regular

I recently came across This post by lifehacker and since then have been thinking about building my own hackintosh. For those of you have have experience with hackintosh, how do you dual boot snow leopard and windows natively?

any resources/ comments will be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I tried to do the hackintosh route with my existing PC laptop, but it was too much hassle. I could not even get it working, so I gave up and I eventually went with a MBP. If you buy the exact components that lifehacker reccomends you will probably have better luck, but I have heard that most people still have issues with sound, sleep, etc.

4. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

I just dont see hackintoshes as worth it.

The draw to Apple is the hardware software integration. Apple software without the hardware is lacking IMO. Hardware without the software is nice, but overpriced.

The best part about macs are the laptops because of the battery life and trackpad which both require OS X to shine. Other than that I have no draw to OS X/Macs.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Let me save you some time. Don't hang around here looking for this kind of information. The trolls on MR will quickly turn it into a mac vs. pc ,overpriced or not, legality thread of the century. Seriously, just walk away.

Now I can't answer your question, but I can point you in the right direction. For reference, I myself run a hackintosh server on a gigabyte mobo (gigabyte mobos are considered the absolute best for this kind of work, as you'll soon find out). I don't have a dual boot config, but I there are bootloaders that allow you to do it. If it isn't a custom build, I think you may have a little bit of trouble getting everything to work properly. My custom build just used a CPU/Mobo combo I got from frys for about 100 bucks. Everything else besides video card doesn't have to be specific.

OSx86 Wiki | Forum
    Boot-123
    Charmeleon Bootloader
    OS X SL Retail
    Gigabyte
    Best Gigabyte motherboard for hackintosh? (Google)

Don't let anyone, particularly those who tried it once and gave up, scare you with tales of instability. My box has an uptime of nearly 2 months and I run it headless.

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

How is apple's C2Q more integrated into SL than my C2Q?

OP:
    I dual-boot Snow Leo and Win7, its really easy. I have each OS on a different drive, which makes it a little easier.
    When you install OSX you'll need to install a bootloader like Chameleon (you cant miss this step, your hack wont boot without it!). When you boot up, Chameleon will give you an option to boot from any hdd or partition on your computer. All you need to do is install both OSs and make sure the OSX partition is active so you boot to Chameleon instead of Windows.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I built a small file server with the Intel Little Falls mini-itx board and was running Windows 7 on it. Didn't work that well connecting to my drives on my Macs, so I installed 10.5.8 on it. Has been working great on it.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

See, this guy knows :D