Hackintosh for $500~?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by superspiffy, May 7, 2010.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I've had previous experience with building my own PCs before I switched to Macs in 2007. I have a MBP but the 8600m gt in it is starting to get dated especially when running StarCraft 2. And I can't afford a 27'' iMac. I want to build a gaming rig for around $500 to mainly run the latest fps games on high/ultra. I want:

-OS X along with Windows 7.
    -AMD quad core (I'd prefer an Intel quad core if the price is right)
    -ATI Radeon 5xxx series card able to easily drive a 24'' display
    -4 GB RAM

I need help with making sure I buy BEST VALUE components and they would all work under OS X. I haven't made a rig since the days of the Athlon 64 so I don't know if any procedures have changed with assembling and dealing with newer standards/tech.

Also, what's a good and cheap 24'' (atleast 1080p) monitor?

2. yukio macrumors regular

3. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Lifehacker had a guide like what you want for $900 but core 2 quads have dropped since then so $500 is do able google snow leopard no hacking lifehacker.

4. MacSignal macrumors regular

Good luck with your Hackintosh project! This Dell ST2410 gets my vote for the good (enough) and cheap 24 inch monitor.

Not IPS and not color precise probably, not height adjustable, but decent subjective image quality (to me). If you wait and watch, it can be had on sale for $189 + tax, free shipping.