hackintosh forum

should there be a hckintosh forum on macrumors?

• yes

Votes: 44 60.3%
  • no

Votes: 29 39.7%

• Total voters

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I do think they should do something besides have one long thread about it. While it has been allowed, it seems that a different reading of the rules could questionably make it violation of MacRumors' own rules.

That said, there is another forum just for hackintoshing.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
If there was one here I'd use it, but InsanelyMac is the de facto source for all things hackintosh, and there are other sites that are devoted to it as well, so it's not really necessary.

The bigger issue is a legal one, otherwise we could just have a hacking/modding forum.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I would like it for there to be one. As I hardly ever got answers to questions posted on insanelymac. Forum members here are far more responsive. Though I lost interest when I found how big of a hassle it is to reboot into Windows every time I want to play a game.

I don't see how there would be legal issues (at least in the US) as it is just providing information, which should be covered by the first amendment. Just don't allow links to the actual software.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Though I lost interest when I found how big of a hassle it is to reboot into Windows every time I want to play a game.
Ahh, just like a real Mac then! :D

Seriously, even though it probably wouldn't get much traffic, I think that it'd probably help. At the moment whenever someone posts a hackintosh-related thread, people tend to jump in there and argue about the legality, morality, whether it's "right" for an Apple fan site to allow that sort of thing, etc. A dedicated forum would likely lessen the amount of those sorts of posts.

On the other hand, as already mentioned, there are sites dedicated to hackintoshing. The information available there greatly surpasses what's here on MR so it really is worth at least searching on those other sites for the information that you need. It's often quicker to search an existing knowledge base than it is to re-ask everything!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
At the moment whenever someone posts a hackintosh-related thread, people tend to jump in there and argue about the legality, morality, whether it's "right" for an Apple fan site to allow that sort of thing, etc. A dedicated forum would likely lessen the amount of those sorts of posts.
You really think so? I think defenders of the right and good would troll a hackintosh forum with a vengeance :-\

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
I thought about this a bit more. I think there should be one. The hackintosh threads are all out of place IMO.
+1

They are already here, just disorganized. Might as well make it official. That will just get bigger overtime as people begin to be more mindful with their money and all they are really interested is the OS.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
No longer logging into MR
On the other hand, as already mentioned, there are sites dedicated to hackintoshing. The information available there greatly surpasses what's here on MR so it really is worth at least searching on those other sites for the information that you need. It's often quicker to search an existing knowledge base than it is to re-ask everything!
However, more traffic to macrumors.com feeds the ad revenue. It's also not as if there aren't many other Mac sites on the Internet, so we could just post links to them. :p

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I could not answer half the OSX86 questions.

It would need to be in special interests I would think.

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
Unnecessary in my opinion. InsanelyMac already has an established hackintosh community, there's no reason you can't just go there.
Well you're probably right, but it seems to me Macrumors might benefit from having the Hackintosh traffic here as well/instead?

I voted strongly "Yes". Of course I would also very much like to see a "General Tinkering" forum for those of us who love experimenting with Mac hardware.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
My feeling is that there should be one if a strict policy was to be put into place. All hackintosh questions must go into the hackintosh forum and no trolling is allowed in that forum (not that it is anywhere else at the moment). Obviously this places and even bigger burden on the currently overstretched mods. Although InsanelyMac is the go to place for all things hackintosh, there is no reason why an alternate resource would not be of benefit to members.

The current situation where all such questions or discussion is merged into the one big thread is not a workable long-term solution, IMO.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
... and no trolling is allowed in that forum (not that it is anywhere else at the moment). Obviously this places and even bigger burden on the currently overstretched mods.
No need to watch it that much. I mean it's just a place for them to chat. The mods don't need to worry about it that much as it isn't real Mac Chat. Although it would be better if it was treated equally.
The current situation where all such questions or discussion is merged into the one big thread is not a workable long-term solution, IMO.
One thread? That's just bad...

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
We stopped doing that late last year. New hackintosh threads are ok, there just isn't a good place to put them.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You really think so? I think defenders of the right and good would troll a hackintosh forum with a vengeance :-\
I was thinking more along the lines of the people that post with "this is against forum rules". If there's a dedicated forum then those people would (hopefully!) notice that it's actually allowed :)

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
I was thinking more along the lines of the people that post with "this is against forum rules". If there's a dedicated forum then those people would (hopefully!) notice that it's actually allowed :)
I totally agree. A dedicated forum would actually decrease trolling since forum members would see it's allowed. You may get a few in the beginning but it would be for only a short period of time. I also thing that memberships base would increase too.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I vote for a Hackintosh forum. And those people who like to come into the current few Hackintosh threads and bitch that "you should just buy a Mac" and "You're breaking the law" and "good luck with that piece of crap" get an automatic one-week ban with a permaban for repeat offenders.

I HATE those anti-hack people.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Not at all. In fact, I think the words Hackintosh and Jailbreak should be banned from these forums.

Humph.