hackintosh forum

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by tflournoy95, Apr 6, 2010.

?

should there be a hckintosh forum on macrumors?

1. yes

44 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. no

29 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

who thinks they should make a hackintosh forum?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I do think they should do something besides have one long thread about it. While it has been allowed, it seems that a different reading of the rules could questionably make it violation of MacRumors' own rules.

That said, there is another forum just for hackintoshing.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unnecessary in my opinion. InsanelyMac already has an established hackintosh community, there's no reason you can't just go there.

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If there was one here I'd use it, but InsanelyMac is the de facto source for all things hackintosh, and there are other sites that are devoted to it as well, so it's not really necessary.

The bigger issue is a legal one, otherwise we could just have a hacking/modding forum.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would like it for there to be one. As I hardly ever got answers to questions posted on insanelymac. Forum members here are far more responsive. Though I lost interest when I found how big of a hassle it is to reboot into Windows every time I want to play a game.

I don't see how there would be legal issues (at least in the US) as it is just providing information, which should be covered by the first amendment. Just don't allow links to the actual software.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I thought about this a bit more. I think there should be one. The hackintosh threads are all out of place IMO.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Ahh, just like a real Mac then! :D

Seriously, even though it probably wouldn't get much traffic, I think that it'd probably help. At the moment whenever someone posts a hackintosh-related thread, people tend to jump in there and argue about the legality, morality, whether it's "right" for an Apple fan site to allow that sort of thing, etc. A dedicated forum would likely lessen the amount of those sorts of posts.

On the other hand, as already mentioned, there are sites dedicated to hackintoshing. The information available there greatly surpasses what's here on MR so it really is worth at least searching on those other sites for the information that you need. It's often quicker to search an existing knowledge base than it is to re-ask everything!

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You really think so? I think defenders of the right and good would troll a hackintosh forum with a vengeance :-\

11. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

+1

They are already here, just disorganized. Might as well make it official. That will just get bigger overtime as people begin to be more mindful with their money and all they are really interested is the OS.

12. belvdr macrumors 603

However, more traffic to macrumors.com feeds the ad revenue. It's also not as if there aren't many other Mac sites on the Internet, so we could just post links to them. :p

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I could not answer half the OSX86 questions.

It would need to be in special interests I would think.

14. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Well you're probably right, but it seems to me Macrumors might benefit from having the Hackintosh traffic here as well/instead?

I voted strongly "Yes". Of course I would also very much like to see a "General Tinkering" forum for those of us who love experimenting with Mac hardware.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My feeling is that there should be one if a strict policy was to be put into place. All hackintosh questions must go into the hackintosh forum and no trolling is allowed in that forum (not that it is anywhere else at the moment). Obviously this places and even bigger burden on the currently overstretched mods. Although InsanelyMac is the go to place for all things hackintosh, there is no reason why an alternate resource would not be of benefit to members.

The current situation where all such questions or discussion is merged into the one big thread is not a workable long-term solution, IMO.

16. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

No need to watch it that much. I mean it's just a place for them to chat. The mods don't need to worry about it that much as it isn't real Mac Chat. Although it would be better if it was treated equally.
    One thread? That's just bad...

17. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

We stopped doing that late last year. New hackintosh threads are ok, there just isn't a good place to put them.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That will then lead to hackintosh issues getting mixed up with Apple issues, which is not a good thing as in general the two are not related.

19. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Thus this thread :)

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was thinking more along the lines of the people that post with "this is against forum rules". If there's a dedicated forum then those people would (hopefully!) notice that it's actually allowed :)

21. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I totally agree. A dedicated forum would actually decrease trolling since forum members would see it's allowed. You may get a few in the beginning but it would be for only a short period of time. I also thing that memberships base would increase too.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh, maybe. A hackintosh forum would also bring out the resident MR lawyers, though, adding a whole new layer of fail :eek:

23. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I vote for a Hackintosh forum. And those people who like to come into the current few Hackintosh threads and bitch that "you should just buy a Mac" and "You're breaking the law" and "good luck with that piece of crap" get an automatic one-week ban with a permaban for repeat offenders.

I HATE those anti-hack people.

24. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I voted "No." Let the hackintosh people feel like the step-children they really are...:)

25. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Not at all. In fact, I think the words Hackintosh and Jailbreak should be banned from these forums.

Humph.