Hackintosh guide?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by canes960, Jul 30, 2009.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There's an ongoing thread on here, but it's a hodge-podge. There are a variety of hackintosh websites. A quick Google search gives you the five or so most popular.

3. hobes270 macrumors regular

If you want the best and fastest hackintosh and have it run 100% like a mac, follow this guide - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

This is for the core i7 processor. If you need help picking parts that are compatible with this guide, let me know. I have had this running perfectly stable since February. I did it because I think tinkering with things is fun and I also wanted an HTPC. I also have an 08 Mac Pro 3Ghz 8 core. My hackintosh is faster. I like them both for different reasons.

4. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

6. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you ever heard about that company, because i haven't. The reviews look pretty good.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Nope. I'd consider whether you find the 4" necessary. You can buy a very good 24" with the same resolution for that price.

8. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

any suggestions. i dont need the extra 4 inchs i just saw that as the number 2 best seller on tiger direct and clicked on it.

9. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The monitor is the same version as the Hanns-G and Hannspree 28" versions. They are good for gaming and good for being a TN panel, from what I've read.

However - TN panel = gaming. TN panel does not equal colour-accuracy (6-bit vs 8-bit colour). However, don't let this dissuade you, I owned an Acer 22" and it was nice; just not accurate. Thinking about nabbing one of the 28" for LANs, too, but it would be in some time - money's tight, as with everybody else.

As for the Hakkentosh, you need to do your research. Unless you have a system that will boot from a vanilla OSX install, you will more-than-likely have to torrent a particular version (iPC and iDeneb, for example); weather or not you buy the OSX license up to you - just remember piracy is bad.

Personally going to head for an install on a Precision M4400 - mainly as an aid in render times for my G5.

10. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

Prolly a retarded question but what does TN stand for?

11. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Twisted Nematic.

Here's a guide I found. Sorry if you don't like the format.

Attached Files:

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

There are lots of guides on other sites. Your best bet is to buy a particular board that is well supported. One of the easiest that takes a retail Installer DVD (10.5.5 or higher) is the Asus P5N7A-VM since it has a 9300 chipset (virtually identical to the 9400 used in current Macs).