Hackintosh Heat Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dilbert4life, Oct 10, 2008.

1. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

I just bought a G5 case to house my Quad Core 2.4GHz hackintosh, and would like to overclock it. The only problem is, I don't want to have heat issues, of course.

What would the best heat sink be to use that would still fit inside the G5 case?

Could I maufacture/build/hack together my own heat sink?

Should I just put it into a refrigerated case?

What would you do?

2. grue macrumors 65816

I think you'd be better off asking on a forum dedicated to such shenanigans :)

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have a ZALMAN CNPS9700 for mine, but I think you might run into a PS problem. Are you planning on replacing your PMG5 PS with a standard ATX (or such) PS?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Anything that is meant to cool the CPU/'s you are using and will fit.

Best to install the board into the case, and take measurements. Then compare them to cooler dimensions, and figure out which models will fit. Though a pain, it's easier than ordering the wrong part and dealing with returns. :eek:
    No, unless you have an expert knowledge of thermodynamics, and have access to proper machine tools and the expertise needed to run them.
    No, too expensive. If you're going to use a different case, just get one that will fit the motherboard, hold the HDD's,...you want that has decent airflow.
    See above. ;) :p

BTW, if you do follow through, I second Cave Man on the PSU. Assuming the connectors are the correct ones, and it could deliver the necessary power, cable length issues alone would be reason enough.

5. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

i believe it will be cheaper and more comforting to position your "mac" in a temperature-conditioned room. (e.g. air-conditioned)

if you want the "mac" to last almost a lifetime, try getting a clean room as well. in short, a totally controlled environment.

i believe you'll enjoy the comfort and safety provided by such an environment. keep us posted with pictures. thanks!

6. dilbert4life thread starter macrumors regular

dilbert4life

Yes, I am just going to put in a standard ATX 400 Watt PS.

Thanks for the info everyone, I will keep posted with pictures.:apple:

7. RRutter macrumors 6502

Agreed to that. Or, you could try making your own heatsink. I would go to the MacRumors Forums Picture gallery, draw up a sketch of what you want with the exact measurements of the Hackintosh, and than asking what everybody thinks of it..