Hackintosh help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lgoodlove, Oct 5, 2008.

1. lgoodlove macrumors member

I don't care if your not allowed to post on this because thats BS. If you are here to complain please message me don't post your simply going to attract more attention to this any way.

I am trying to build a custom PC but I will NOT pay all this money to run a nasty windowz just to test websites on thats what my old HP is for. But i am a website desinger and i want more power than my macbook core duo and being only in highschool I don't have the money for a mac pro.

I know a little about the OSx86 project. I have a leopord disk (leagal) and tiger disk. I also know how to get the other versions.
    I am going to purchase the products from newegg.com unless someone can show me a better product and price.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N1066SR2GK

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

(RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case)

(hec HP585D 585W ATX12V Power Supply - No Power Cord)

thanks for any help. I mostly think its the MOB that i need to worry about. also please don't waste my time be simply say "i would go with a quad" or something dumb, the reason I choice this is the price to performance and with the new chips coming out the 1333mhz bus is still partial future proof.

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

This will probably be deleted so you may want to go to the Insanelymac website that said the only thing that I see wrong is the cheapo no name power supply, spend 50-60 bucks and get some quality brand like Antec, Enermax, Corsair, Thermaltake, OCZ there are plenty to choose from..

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but your tone is incredibly hostile.

Have you seen the EFiX dongle? It might make your pursuit easier.

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Don't bother, its a waste of money. The EFix does the exact same thing as all the free software solutions, like the Chameleon 132 bootloader.

Everything looks okay, but I'd recommend a P35 gigabyte, not the P45 because they're much better supported, especially for vanilla installs.

Also, get 4 or 8GB ram. So cheap and totally worth it. Cheap out somewhere else (the p35 mobo is cheaper, or a lesser video card) and pick up lots of RAM.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That's good to know, thanks.

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

When I went from my EP35-DS3R to EP45-DS3R awhile back all that was required was changing the motherboard everything worked as before except I got to take a card out of my machine because the firewire worked out of the box. So I think I would have to disagree with the better supported idea the same changes are required for a p45 retail install as a p35 one I tested it on my external drive just to be sure.
    As always you can never have enough ram I've got 8gb the p45 boards can take up to 16gb if you can find the 4gb modules at a reasonable price anywhere..

7. lgoodlove thread starter macrumors member

sorry if i sound hostile but last time i asked for help people just freaked out on me

do you know of any way to install if from a legal leopard disk?

thanks for the advice on the P35 i was unsure that P45 will work but i guess from the way I've read it the higher the chipset the better but in support reasons i guess that makes scene to go with P35. But the P45 seams to be the same price if not cheaper is it really worth it?

I plan on buying more ram as soon as i get the computer, from my experience 2GB is good to run anything if it's above 800mhz. but i agree the more ram the better (this ram is ridiculously fast 1066mhz compared to most computers @ 667mhz)

personally idk why people think i should get a better power supply, i have several friends that have cheap power supply's and the only thing they say is its the hottest part of there computer... so i will probably replace it but it will be later

8. lgoodlove thread starter macrumors member

hey mac user any way you would like to just post your specs for me?

also i was wondering if i would have issues with the graphics. i keep reading that some cards just don't work... but people say that they just load drivers
    ???

sorry if i sound dumb but i just don't know any thing about this field