Hackintosh NAS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iampaulb, Jan 21, 2013.

1. iampaulb macrumors regular

Not sure where this should go, but has anyone built a hackintosh nas?

I have been looking at QNAP / Synolgy etc etc but not sure I could cope with the web interface. As i currently have a dell workstation i just remote in to. So its nice and easy to manage and set up and move files around as its just a windows computer.

So thought of seeing if its possible to have a little Hackintosh NAS with M.Lion or Lion on it. So i can use it as a normal PC so to speak.

2. alex84 macrumors newbie

If you need an nas solution with current hardware i can recommend freenas and openfiler. If you want more options checkout nexenta.

I have both qnap and synology. It's great hardware with great software but an initial cost for an unit. That will however pay itself in the long run for a great unit you will have for a long time.

My recommendation to you. If you have spare hardware i would advice for freenas since it's simple and got all the bells and whistles.

If you got spare cash an qnap or synology unit will last you long. Most people tend to try an software nas first the at some point try the pre-built one, qnap/synology etc and realise hey wtf this is actualy awsome ;)

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I started with roll your own NAS's and a few years back got a Synology. I'd never go back to a DIY NAS. The web interface on Synology is great, easy peasy.

PS I'd avoid the Hackintosh solution, just a hot mess.