hackintosh or wait for new mac pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, May 19, 2011.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

Just looking to bounce a few ideas and have some feedback.

I transfer home videos and reels for clients.

I have a G4, G5, 2006 Mac Pro and 2009 Mac Pro. They do various tasks with the 09 being my 'main machine.

I need a PC for a new reel transfer device coming.

I could buy one. or I could buy a new mac pro and use the 09 with bootcamp/parallels etc... to act as the PC.

Or I make an hackintosh and use the 09 as the PC.

My reasoning for a new pro or hackintosh has to do with mpeg2 compression. My 09 is a quad 2.66 so using bitvice, it takes a 2 hour SD video approximately 1 hour 15 mins (with high quality settings) to create the m2v

I have a colleague using a PC, built cheaper of course then a Mac Pro - 6 cores, lots of ram and his takes.....15 mins for a similar file (quality settings, duration etc....).

The 2 bottlenecks for my business are:
    1. the actual transfer time for which I can do nothing about - if a camcorder tape runs 2 hours, it takes 2 hours to transfer.

2. the compression time. Usually i do my transferring during the day, a few quick edits, prep the files and run overnight. Still much faster than the 06 MP, but still....any time savings equals money b/c i can turn projects around faster.

But the question is: what should I do? Any suggestions? thoughts? I could use my 06 with compressor except:
    1. compressor's output quality wise, is not as good as bitvice

and 2. oh ya, i can never get compressor to work right over a network with more than 1 file (yes, after multiple calls to Apple's support and issues logged!!!!!! Not even going to go there.

For h.264 files, I'm using a Matrox CompressHD card and it's awesome - faster than realtime and the quality is fantastic.

Too bad I couldn't find a comparable (quality and price wise), m2v solution too!

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. mBox macrumors 68020

Id stick it out with using a PC box for the transfer.
    I love my MacPro 12cores but if I needed a system that would shave my rendering time down to minutes as oppose to hours, I welcome it :)
    For 3D grunt work we use BOXX computers. Everything else Mac.

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. I think a PC is what I'll do then I'll wait for news of new Mac Pros and decide from there.