Hackintosh vs MacBook Pro Retina 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jonathanchasr, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Jonathanchasr macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2013
    Hey guys Im planning on getting a new computer since my current MacBook Pro 13 2011 and iMac 2011 is getting really slow and hard to use now. But Ive been having trouble deciding if I should build a Hackintosh or get a MacBook Pro 15 Broadwell once it comes out. My uses for the computer is running Adobe After Effects CS6, Adobe Premiere CS6, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Lightroom, AutoDesks 3dsmax, maya, some gaming little gaming like Portal 2 and Minecraft, Xcode, Brackets and Terminal. I think both computers can handle all of this well. The specs for the Hackintosh are:

Windows 8.1 Pro/Mac OS X Mavericks
    Intel Core i7 4930K LGA 2011
    Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB 1600MHz
    Corsair Professional Series 760Watt
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 EVGA
    Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD
    3TB 7,200 RPM Seagate Hard Drive
    3 Dell p2214H 22 inch Monitors.

I really enjoy using the MacBook Pros the design of it is just amazing to me in my opinion and the retina display seems great to use but Im also stuck with the performance that this desktop would offer me. What do you guys think I should choose?
  2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

May 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    You are comparing two different things if I'm honest - a Mac Pro is the obvious Apple equivalent to the spec posted.

Of the two - MacBook Pro. A hackintosh is unsupported. If it's a revenue earning machine it's not worth the risk of a unsupported hardware or an OS X update taking your machine out.

If your waiting for Broadwell, you've got 9+ months to mull on it - rMBP CPUs are estimated for Q2 2015.
  3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Dec 13, 2004
    Unfortunately, no laptop is going to match the performance of those specs. The only thing close is a mac pro.
  4. Jonathanchasr thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2013
    Yeah I know that but what my question really is should I get the MacBook Pro for its decent power being portable with its great display and battery or a powerful desktop for home. I don't know why its so hard for me to choose between the two...
  5. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

Nov 5, 2013
    What you're basically asking is along the same lines as "Should I get this TV or this tablet". They're two different types of devices where one is pretty much immobile and the other is very much mobile. You can't really compare the two without being an idiot.

I use a 15" Macbook Pro of the same year and I don't fine it the least bit sluggish for anything except 3D heavy games, which I don't even play that much. Apart from the cheap SSD I put in last september, which sped it up significantly, it's a completely stock configuration.

My personal recommendation would be to try a cheap SSD and more RAM and if that doesn't speed it up enough, THEN begin considering a new machine.
  6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Dec 13, 2004
    It's a decision that only you can make. Do you need portability? Do the tasks you do outweigh that portability due to the need for the extra performance?
  7. repentix macrumors regular

May 26, 2013
    better get a hackintosh or a schenker w713 with the same processor as your hackintosh and dual gtx 880's 32gb ram for 4597 Euro with the same or higher performance than your hackintosh :D . Apple does't make a laptop with REAL horsepower.....