Hackintosh

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TaylorJ, Oct 1, 2010.

1. TaylorJ macrumors regular

Hey everybody. I really didnt know what forum to post this in, picked this one...

Anyway I've always been a pc user and I switched to mac this summer. I bought a 13 inch macbook pro. I want to switch my desktop to a mac as well and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with a hackintosh.

I can spend money and buy a mac mini, imac or mac pro but I can build my own which provides me a better computer that is ultimately cheaper. Now my question is does anybody have any experience doing it?

I've found some tutorials online but alot of the stuff is old. Do I have to buy specific parts? Which parts have to be specific, is it only the processor or the motherboard/graphics/hd etc etc as well.

Just looking for some general answers and thoughts, well be building this in the future so no urgency!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

We have a rather large thread devoted to this you might want to check out

But your best bet might be the OSx86 Project at the InsanelyMac Forum

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+ TonyMacx86 ;)

Motherboard and graphics are the most important. You can use any CPU that is compatible with the motherboard, same applies to hard drives.

4. TaylorJ thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, shouldve done a search on all the forums and not just the desktops ones. Thanks so much!