Hackintoshes

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by strelok1911, Jan 3, 2011.

1. strelok1911 macrumors member

Hey there.
    I've joined the forum hoping I could have a nice intelligent discussion with Mac users.

Unfortunately I only have a Hackintosh at the moment, planning to buy a real Mac.

I was wondering if discussion about Hackintoshes is allowed?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yes, though your best bet would be to spend some time on forums dedicated to the Hackintosh, such as InsanelyMac and TonyMacx86.

4. MacSignal macrumors regular

From what I've seen, Hackintosh discussions seems to be allowed on MR. I have always thought it would be nice to have a dedicated forum for it here.

5. glimp7 macrumors member

running 64-bit hackintosh

If anyone is planning on building a hackintosh, make sure to pick out the right hardware on NewEgg a few days before you order. Then you have plenty of time to make sure it's a decent configuration.

Most boards are incapable of doing 64-bit SL, but there are a few that can run it without issue. I have a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Revision 2 motherboard with an i7 950, and my Sapphire 5870 worked with just a couple of simple tweaks.

Running 64-bit SL means all the kexts and the kernel are running in their 64-bit versions.

If you're wanting to keep up with OSX updates, make sure to back up your important kexts (iousbfamily.kext, iousbmassstorage.kext, etc...). From 10.6.4 to 10.6.6, the USB drivers have always been updated and stop working on most hackintoshes.

If you're interested in this, go for it! InsanelyMac.com has a huge collection of tutorials (step-by-step).

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'd rather have a random person spend a grande on an OSX machine than pay $3500 for lesser hardware. :)

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

That is not accurate at all most boards with the setting for the HPET in 64bit will run it.

Most not all according to activity monitor I have two stragglers left behind.

Not if you have a DSDT.aml with the USB devices corrected in it.