Resolved Hacks section a mess.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MacManiac76, Aug 18, 2012.

1. MacManiac76, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Someone needs to put the Hacks section separate again. This place is a mess unless you have an iPhone. Too much crap to sort through just to find anything that pertains to the iPad, or any other non-iPhone iDevice. The other changes to the forum structure are fine, but this was a really bad idea for the Hacks section.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

4. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

OK I have a new problem, I can't bookmark my search so that's not really a solution. The search deletes from the system after a while. I reinstate my objection.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

The decision on the current forum structure was reached after a lot of discussion, where member feedback was very important.

We're always listening to opinions, and we have them in the back of our minds (and in the front of our discussions), but I can safely say that the current structure will be around for a while. When a change involving that much work is made, we give it plenty of time to settle in.

6. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

That's fine and all, I didn't expect it to be changed. The custom advanced searches need to last longer than a few minutes though. I can honestly say that I have spent a lot less time in the "iOS Hacks" (formerly "iPad Hacks") section than I used to. iOS Hacks is basically only useful if you are looking for iPhone help for the most part now unless you are willing to sift through a bunch of crap which I am not for the most part. The iPad Hacks former section didn't really have much activity anyway except for when a new jailbreak came out. I'm just disappointed that I have to do an advanced search each and every time I only want to view stuff for only the iPad now, seems rather excessive to me and was not fully thought through. I guess my request now is to maybe let each member have one to five custom searches be saved permanently for issues such as this. I don't think that's too much to ask.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It is possible to create URLs that perform certain searches. It's somewhat complex to do: you need to read the source code to the search page to work out the variables and the values. For example this will show threads with prefix iPad in the iOS Hacks forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=process&prefixchoice[]=[iPad]&forumchoicefjdpth2=fjdpth2

8. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Thank you for that, exactly the type of help I am seeking. I didn't know the code to use and was hoping somebody else did. I will try it and get back to you. You guys rock.

Edit: Ok I need to know how to add for it to only search the iOS Hacks section. Thanks.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sorry, it was meant to do that but I made 2 errors :)eek:). Try this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=process&prefixchoice[]=[iPad]&forumchoice[]=105

10. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member