Hacks, Viruses, etc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenpflyer, Nov 28, 2007.

1. greenpflyer macrumors newbie

I just recently bought a black macbook and I love it for my first mac. I cant believe that it is true that I never want to switch back to windows ever. But I just have a concern about what I've read that hackers could easily hack your computer and gain your information without you knowing it on OSX. How do I know I'm safe and is mac getting bad?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Mac isnt getting bad...yet. What you can do is make your wireless(or hardwired) connection have a firewall and a password. On top of that you can enable the firewall on OS X. If you go through System Preferences, go to Security and click on the Firewall tab. Hope this helps.

3. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Firewalls are of only any use assuming that one (or more) of the services exposed to the world might have a vulnerability - give IIRC that in Leopard those services now run in a sandbox, its pretty much moot about a firewall.

People assume you need a firewall - bull. What you need to do is ensure that you update yourself regularly. You can't hack a computer without vulnerabilities.

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Are you talking about that other new guy on here that is posting that gibberish in different threads about wanting a good app to block out rogue-users? Honestly, it is a Unix based OS, with sandboxed apps, and a pretty secure rest of the OS.

There is 1 trojan out there right now, that requires you to be a pretty big idiot to get, and that is basically how it works. If you are an idiot, no system is secure.

5. feyn-man macrumors regular

I don't think so. The most dangerious thing is not the trojan itself, but the way people use it. Every day we download software from internet. How do you know which is the safe one? The trojan ownner can pretend it to be a software that you want. That is easy.

6. wildwobby macrumors member

Not unless you're an idiot...

Heres the rules you should use:

1. Don't download crap you don't need.
    2. Don't use limewire
    3. If you download something, download it from the maker's website or another well-known site, NOT some ****** russian site or crap like that.
    4. Don't enter your password on anything besides when OS X itself asks you for it.

Follow those 3 rules and you will never get hacked / download a virus, even MUCH more so on a mac.