Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Hacktivate & Jailbreakme.com?

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
I just read through all 560+ posts in the jailbreakme.com thread and didn't see this answered so I'm breaking it out as it might be unique.

Is there a way to hactivate using the jailbreakme.com jailbreak? I'm on a jailbroken/unlocked 3.12 and would love to upgrade to 4.01 but I'm not sure if I can hactivate it. I use my phone on TMO and do not have an active AT&T sim to use to activate with.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out :)

P.S. any worries in going from the old bootrom to the new one when doing an official upgrade through iTunes to use the new site?

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
If you have an old AT&T (or whatever service the phone is locked to) sim or a phone book sim you can activate the phone before jailbreaking. The phone book sims are generic sims used to transfer phone numbers via sim card. They are like 10 bucks.

See here: http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/719737-iphone-4-activation-without-original-sim-card.html

You can pick up one here: http://www.ditsonline.com/3470-3-in-1-card.html

I do have an old ATT sim... but it's not active on ATT any longer. Would it still work?

Comment

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
it should, why don't you just try it? lol

Because the thought of being without a working iPhone sends me into a panic. Hahaha... I'm just a slight bit addicted to the damn thing. *grin*

The last time I unlocked and jailbroke it I was still with ATT so this wasn't an issue for me. I just want to make sure I don't make a wrong step this time.

Comment

SteveRSNLT

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
You're screwed, don't even try . . . you'll brick your phone and you can't have mine ;)

Comment

jds17j

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
I do have an old ATT sim... but it's not active on ATT any longer. Would it still work?

Yes. I just used an old AT&T sim after restoring to 4.0.1 on my 3GS and it worked fine. Then just remove it and go to the jailbreakme.com site via safari. After this open cydia and install ultrasn0w as long as it's not an iPhone4.

Comment

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Yes. I just used an old AT&T sim after restoring to 4.0.1 on my 3GS and it worked fine. Then just remove it and go to the jailbreakme.com site via safari. After this open cydia and install ultrasn0w as long as it's not an iPhone4.

That's fantastic! Thank you. I have always thought I needed an active ATT sim to activate. I may just bite the bullet and finally attempt to upgrade to IOS 4. I'm off to back up my Cydia apps ;-)

Comment

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Thanks for the tips, I upgraded both my and my daughter's iPhones last night using our old ATT sim. Very happy and the jailbreakme.com was the easiest upgrade I've ever done.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.