Hactified iPhone 2.0 Beta Firmware Will Be Released Today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justflie, Mar 30, 2008.

1. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

According to our friends at Gizmodo, the iPhone firmware will be released today by the iPhone Dev Team in Mother Russia. There is a Gizmodo post here about it as well as a Youtube video of what they have dubbed iPhone PWNED.

It is certainly intriguing. I'm graduating from my Masters program at school in May so I would not be able to enjoy the Enterprise-TLS WPA2 support that the true 2.0 firmware would enable. I'm sure some others are in the same boat. Anyways, watch the video, it's interesting (albeit with way overused music).

2. Nik macrumors 6502

"Hactified"? Does this word really exist? I do not think so. ;)

I would never "flash", "hack", ...whatever... my iPhone.
    Here is why: You never know what this software relly does, do you?
    I would not take that risk of installing inappropriate software on my phone.

3. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

4. daveym macrumors newbie

Yes great a can have a green kettle float around on the display.... or i can pretend to eat popcorn from the top of my phone...... hmmmm loads of fun............only advantage is to get it unlocked from the service provider:rolleyes:

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You're ignorant or clueless.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

WTF are you talking about?:confused:

7. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

8. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

9. CreativeMac macrumors newbie

CreativeMac

Just to clarify, they are not releasing the actual firmware. It's a tool that allows for custom firmwares to be loaded on the phone. In the video, they were just showing that they can load a customize 1.2/2.0 beta release firmware.

10. GSA190 macrumors member

GSA190

How will a normal iPhone user be able to get this? I'm not into all this file downloading jailbreak stuff.

11. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

Correct. I didn't really word my post that well (it was early in the day). But I totally stand by my Hactified word, best word ever. :)

And to the post regarding how you would get this...
    When these guys release the program, I'm assuming you will just download it from their server. However, as CreativeMac posted, it does not include the firmware itself. People would have to find that elsewhere. Frankly, I have no idea where, short of the legal means through Apple ($99).

12. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Uh, the Green kettle is demo that the OpenGL works. This proves their 1.20 hack works. And unlocking from 3rd party or carrier is the same, as long as it works. ;)