hactivation and jailbreaking iphone 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by andyaussie, Feb 7, 2011.

1. andyaussie macrumors newbie

hey guys.

firstly, im not very computer savvy so please make all replies with no assumptions of knowledge.

secondly, my story. I bought an unlocked iphone 3gs 32gb in Australia and it worked perfectly for a year until which point it died. i have been travelling the past 9months (central america) so i had to wait 4 months to get to an apple store (NY) to get it seen to. it was deemed to have battery, hardware and software issue so apple gave me a new phone.

apple told me the new iphone 3gs they gave me was then basically programmed to be the same as the old one which by their records was not unlocked and was originally from france??? so when i put my australian sim card in the screen reads ' no sim inserted, please insert a valid sim with no pin code', as it apparently will only activate with the french sim card.

at this is not possible i have started searching for other solutions to my problem and found out a little about hactivation and jailbreaking. i have searched extensively on youtube and google, but what i find is slightly to in depth for me and i cant find an easy solution.

as i am stuck on the 'no sim inserted' screen i have no idea what firmware i am running, i have no idea where to look for the serial number (i recall that was in the setting menu on my old phone) so im not sure what baseband i have either. as this information cannot be obtained i cannot then use the instructions on youtube or google searches.

if anyone can help me id be very appreciative, i really need step by step instructions.

andy

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If this is a new replacement from Apple, then I think you will have an update IOS 4.2.1 on it with baseband 03.10.

What you can do is to look for a used/expired AT&T sim card, put into the phone and hook it to Itunes. It will then activate your phone to get to the home screen. From that point, you can find out what firmware & baseband you have on this phone.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It wouldn't be baseband 3.10 because it's an iPhone 3GS and not a 4. I'm thinking baseband 5.15.04.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yeah, mistake on my post. It should be 05.15 baseband.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

No worries homie. I know you knew, but our OP said he wasn't very experienced so I wanted to make sure everything was spot.

The OP might want to try using sn0wbreeze to create a hactivated 4.1 (or pwnagetool if he/she has a Mac) and then restore to it using iTunes. Then running Ultrasn0w for the unlock.

You can PM me if you want details on how to do all that.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Is this hactivate firmware will upgrade baseband to ipad baseband? Otherwise, ultrasn0w will not work for baseband 05.15.

7. Jad Morffier macrumors newbie

Jad Morffier

I'm pretty much in the same boat here guys. I'm in Australia with a mates 3GS, a brand new one from Apple store to replace his smashed one. But it's locked to 3mobile/Vodafone and he has a different sim card now so it's a brick to him atm. He rang 3mobile to get get it unlocked and they said go into a 3mobile store. He went into a store they said do it over the phone lol. So I said I'd just jailbreak and try unlock it that way.

Anyway I used to greenpois0n to jailbreak and that seems to be installed but I still can't get into the phone as I'm stuck at the 'Insert valid SIM with no PIN lock' badge screen.

Any advice on where to go to from here?