Had a phone call from Apple today...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nonentity, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Nonentity macrumors member

I'm looking to purchase a MBP sometime soon at the moment I'm waiting for leopard, but my self control is waning especially seeing as with student discount Leopard will only be £60.

Yesterday I saved a basket on the Apple store that basket included a MBP and a new iPod, I just had a phone call from Apple asking if there are any questions that I might have regarding their products! I was a little taken aback at first; i basically said I'm just waiting for Leopard to be released. They also said that he will forward his details so any questions or i want to order i can just ring him up and go through the motions. I know that they're just trying to get me to buy from them and he's probably getting paid commission, but i am very impressed with Apples attitude towards me being a customer and cannot wait to get my first mac! :)

Now I've been doing a lot of reading on Macs learning how things work etc. And its always great reading about the personal opinions and experiences of other Mac users. I've read up on benchmarks etc. but would like a few opinions on which model I should get, Is there much of a difference between the 2.2 and the 2.4 in performance? I'll be using it for some FCP editing, Photoshop and maybe some gaming, will the extra 128 in the graphics make this experience even more pain free? or is 128mb graphics great for FCP and most games? I've been out of the gaming loop as i currently have a laptop with integrated 32mb Intel graphics and would like to catch up on some great games (HL2, bioshock etc) so any opinions and answers would be great. Also would/are you wait for leopard to be released? Also (as the free nano offer starts today in the uk) If i have the full 15% education discount does the free nano offer still apply? Thanks in advance! :apple:

2. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

They have been doing this for a while actually! A few years back, the only way to see the shipping time frames were to put things in your shopping cart. Sure enough, :apple: called me to see what questions they could answer to allow me to place my order. It is cool getting a call from :apple:!

3. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I didn't know they did that. TBH I would find it annoying, but that's just me.:p

4. alexapplemac macrumors newbie

yes, i was wondering the same thing...i get the full 15% discount also, how come this differs to the slightly lower discount? don't understand, but does the ipod promotion still apply? i'm considering ipod touch / nano...

...but theyre going to stop this offer before the new macbooks (slight upgrades or brand new models) come out won't they?...in which case i'll wait

ARGHHHH

5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

If it were me, and I was planning to do lots in FCP and Photoshop, then I'd buy the most powerful machine I could afford. Especially if I were into gaming.

As far as the power differences between the 2.2 and the 2.4, I personally would probably not notice it, but the 2.4 is going to be around for a bit longer than the 2.2 and is obviously slightly higher powered.

As for Leopard, there are reasons to wait, and there are reasons to jump in now. Some say that 10.5.3 is the right time to move to Leopard and some say to move on release day.

Again, if it were me and I could afford to wait, I'd probably wait, but if I needed it now, I'd get it now.

Buy as much power as you can and then don't check the specs again for a few months otherwise you'll think "man, why didn't I just wait, I could have got x and y instead".

Cheers.

6. macinthebox-nan macrumors newbie

macinthebox-nan

no pakistani accent?

does Apple outsource their calling center to India or somewhere where you can't understand a thing they are saying?

7. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Max out the RAM and wait for Leopard

1. After the date for the official release of Leopard is announced, you can order your MBP and get it for FREE! (Leopard that is....)

2. I do not think; as others have said here; that the difference between 2.2 and 2.4 mHz will matter much, but the increase in memory on the video card might make a difference for you.

Can you go to an Apple store and play with either MBP? I would go and check it out live! Most Apple Stores have Photoshop installed so that might help.

3. I would also recommend maxing out the RAm on your new MBP as well. Maximum memory will help no matter what your doing on your MBP.

Oh, and welcome to the MAC community with your first MAC.

8. Nonentity thread starter macrumors member

He was english actually.

For free you say? is that a sure thing? I know that thy reduced the price for ilife 08 etc but giving me leopard for free?! How'd you know this? I'm hoping that the release date will be given at the Apple Expo in two weeks.

Unfortunately i don't have an Apple store near enough to me to go have a play with them :( Where can i max out the RAM in the UK? most of the places that people suggest are USA only, i've tried crucial but i'd like it to be a little bit cheaper...

And thanks for the welcome! Mac users are all so friendly :D

9. sbb155 macrumors 6502

Why is it cool to receive a call from a telemartketer? If MS did this, you guys would be all over them. The last thing I ever want is a call from Apple. When this happened to me, the caller knew less about the mac pro then I could find on their website or on line. Gimme a break.

10. UnixMac macrumors 6502

UnixMac

It's Apples to Oranges! ;)

Tele-marketers usually cold call you based on a list they've gotten a hold of without your direct permission.. going to a store (brick and mortar) and walking around with an item in your shopping basket, you're not offended at an employee asking you "may I help you?".. why be offended if the store is on the internet and they ask the same? That good customer service, and I know a thing or two about that.

I'm glad to see Apple is getting more and more popular however, and if my personal experience is any indication, I've converted 6 people to Mac in the past 2 years and all have been profusely happy with their conversion... Apple's future looks solid.

11. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I got a phone call today from Apple, the guy was English and asked if I had any questions about there computers or software, and then mentioned about the saved basket, he sounded more excited then I was when I told him I had placed an order last night

/Ste

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Wow I didnt know they did that, I'll never be adding stuff to the shopping cart now. I would really hate that, one of the best things about shopping online is not having to deal with pushy sales people working on commision and lying to you. Its a major pet peeve of mine going to a store where I already did the research and know exactly what I want to buy while some sales guy gets commission for doing nothing but walking the box to the cash register. If they get commission then they better hook me up with something extra like when you buy a car and get a discount or free upgrades, I'll be damned if they get extra money while I get nothing.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Brick & mortar Apple Store employees sell away from their products if they sense that a customer might delay their purchase for cheaper items. Example: I was at my local (2.25 hrs. away...) Apple Store hugging the Mac Pro when an employee walked over to the Mini with a businessman (looked like one, anyway; he had a briefcase...:rolleyes:) and began to roll off selling points. When the customer frowned at the price of the Cinema Display, the Apple Store guy said that you can hook up any ol' monitor to the Mini, QUOTE: "like a more simple Dell or HP monitor, or whatever one you use now. Yeah, any Mac can use basically any monitor." UNQUOTE. While this makes sense (as besides the Mac Pro, the most overpriced thing Apple sells is their displays (updates soon for both, please! I want them!), it also shows that Apple employees care less about selling a whole Apple branded package than employees of other retailers do for their products.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

They do occasionally outsource their support calls to India. That said, I doubt Apple is going to outsource their sales men and women ...that'd be a very poor business move.

15. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

Getting a call based on your shopping cart is not new, 2 or 3 years ago my friend was offered and took a 10% discount if he purchased a powerbook right then over the phone.

If someone is trying this hard to sell you, always ask for a discount.

16. Jestered macrumors 6502

That is not true. Apple has never outsourced support calls anywhere. They were thinking of opening a support center in India about a year ago, but decided against it. Apple phone support is all "in house" and has never been outsourced.

17. LeanneStewart macrumors newbie

Its free because it will already be loaded on the computer you buy if you order it after leopard's release.

18. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Its surprising for me too. I like getting help when I want it so it would actualy be pretty annoying.

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

There is little in terms of difference in performance between the 2.2GHz & the 2.4GHz MacBook Pros. I was going to buy the 2.4GHz MacBook Pro until I saw the tiny difference in terms of gaming performance. Check out www.barefeats.com for some great benchmarks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]