Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Okay, so it was a long day waiting for 3 hours to get a phone and then not being able to register it till 1am. Then to add insult to injury, the sim (02 UK) is still not registered.

But what about the email?

Yes everything is cool with the iphone but email is really important to me and I am not sure it is going to cut it. Please someone convince me I am wrong.

I have signed up for mobile me but (over wifi) it is not exactly push! How long? I have several email accounts and want one inbox that I can go straight to every time. Now I have to chose account, go to next screen and choose inbox and then get to email - what a hassle.

Help - any email tips for a blackberry addict with a new iphone?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Um, give it a week.

iTunes and MobileMe have had a crapload of problems over the past 24 hours. I think Apple tried to launch WAY too much at once. You're also talking about a brand new service, so don't throw in the towel after a day.

On a side note, I still think "Mobile Me" sounds about as cool as "My Computer." They must've had some advertising interns come up with that one.

byron_hinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
I'd say give it a week too once they get Mobile Me sorted it should be fast. I'm using Exchange on the iPhone 3G and it is instant so I know the phone is perfect, its just the server side stuff from Apple hasn't lived up to the hype yet

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

My MobileMe mail pushed to my phone in less than 5 seconds. Calendars and contacts stopped pushing yesterday though. I'll give them a few days to sort it out.

beast

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
UK
Yea I think you just need to give Apple a little time to sort out MobileMe.... it works fine syncing my two macs but my new phone is way out of the loop.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Um, give it a week.

I tend to agree... give it at least more than 24 hrs. To be honest some things about the mail will probably always irk you vs. blackberries, but while I was also seriously annoyed with the mail at first, I got over most of it and I ended up sticking with my iPhone....

Course, if you're just sticking with your same provider with your blackberry, and you do ultimately decide to go back, I guess you can probably not wory about the ETF since you won't be leaving your provider, and just sell the iPhone at a profit anyways...

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
UKmacman, I've always wondered about this so please honestly tell me....What is it about the Blackberry (other than the physical keyboard which might be a plus for you but is a negative for some, including me) email that makes it so much superior to iPhone email that people exalt it so?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
UKmacman, I've always wondered about this so please honestly tell me....

I'll take my stab, but I'll also be very interested to hear his answer...a couple of these things are things that might have been changed in FW2.0, but most of them I'm pretty sure have not.

- Although the BB only shows text e-mail, it downloads all of it automatically -- so you don't have to worry about whether you have service when you want to read an e-mail, whereas with the iPhone, it says you have three new e-mails, and you maybe can't read them and have to walk down the hall a bit until you're back in service to read them.

- I find so far that the BB is much closer to flawless in terms of always trying to check and get e-mail whenever brief intervals of service exist, whereas at least with 1.1.4, I've found that the iPhone at least occasionally gets confused, e.g. when it thinks it's still in a wifi spot but you've walked away somewhere else, and then you look at your inbox and it hasn't checked for new e-mail in several hours, even though it was told to do so every fifteen minutes. (fixed?)

For both of those, I guess some people are in places where, even inside buildings, they never have service blackout pockets... I personally run into it a lot, particularly inside buildings, so having that is really valuable to me.

- BB allows for different signatures and filters and so on for different accounts -- more flexibility in this area if you have seven or eight e-mail accounts on it, like I do (fixed in 2.0, I believe?)

- You have the choice between an integrated view of new messages in chronological order from all mailboxes vs. looking at each separately, like in Mail on OS X, whereas at least with 1.1.4 this is not available on the iPhone (is it in 2.0? I haven't heard anyone mention it). I particularly like that you can even have the BB do a totally integrated chronology of all contact -- so you see e-mails from all accounts, SMS, MMS, missed/dialed/received calls, Blackberry messages, etc, etc, all in one unified reverse chronological list.

- List of little niggles that I'm pretty sure are in 2.0 on the iPhone -- a mark all as read option, keyword searching, other searching tools like finding e-mails from a contact or finding other e-mails from a sender, etc.

Those in any event are all the things I like better on BB than on the iPhone 1.1.4 firmware, outside of the push issue and corporate connectivity. But, as I said, on the balance, I chose the iPhone primarily because other things about it make it a real joy to use. I loved my BB, and it really was like crack, but the iPhone has a much better knack for making me just grin widely when I use it. :eek:

idyll

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Yeah I'd wait.. I haven't even bought the 3G model yet as I know the stores are full of crazies ;) and the service will be spotty for a bit until things calm down

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I went from a Blackberry to iPhone a year ago with V1. I would NEVER go back. Try a little longer to see if you get used to it and things settle down.

View

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
I don't know if I can stand a Blackberry. I have to say that I have never had a chance to use it extensively, but I used it for a while and when I found out that it couldn't ring + vibrate at the same time (only vibrate then ring) I thought that was it. (I don't know if this only applies to that particular model or all Blackberries).

I use MobileMe (free trial) and it pushes it instantly, but the contacts and calendar are not instantly pushed (just yet). Give it a little time, and I'm sure you will love the iPhone! It's so much more user intuitive than the Blackberry (in my opinion, of course, it depends on a user).

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
When MobileMe is working like it should be, email is seriously INSTANT. I would try it if possible during a non peak hour when Apple servers calm down. Everything should be worked out in a week though.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Exchange push has been instant for me (usually before outlook on my desktop).. must be a mobileme issue.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
It's the email thing - it just works and well on a bb. I will give it a few days to see how it all works when mobileme is up and running. Don't get me wrong I love the new iphone, just got to make sure the email is up to speed.

Also touchscreen is going to be slower to use than bb pearl. I can fire off a yes or no andswer with one hand on the go with bb, not so on iphone - yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.