Had iphone SE bought a 7 - Retuned 7 - Here's why

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cc999, Mar 2, 2017.

1. cc999 macrumors 6502

I have never been so disappointed in Apple as my last experience. I am using an iPhone SE that is absolutely flawless. The only problem I had was the screen was a little to small. So I decided to get the Sim free Matt Black 128gb iphone 7 paying full price.

Purchased phone, got it home and set everything up. I noticed the screen was not as clear as my SE or my wives 7. I then put it next to my SE and it was very yellow and washed out. I then got my wives 7 and put it side by side and the same damn thing. Just like the problems that have been discussed in Macforums.

I brought back to the phone7 to apple and they opened a brand new one. It had the same problem, the screen was terrible. I put my SE next to the 7 and the Genius at Apple said I see what you mean wow. He then called another Genius to look and he also agreed. I then took a full refund and still have my SE as my business phone. I was not about to pay 880 dollars (tax - case - screen protector) for a phone that looked like that. Totally disappointed.

We then looked at the display models and guess what, all the Matt Black 7 (not plus) had the same problem. Put it next to a silver or rose gold and it was like night and day. The Matt Black was yellow as hell no matter how high you set the brightness.

The only good thing is I was within the 14 day return window so they had to refund in full.

CC

2. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

This is exactly what the 14-day return period is for. You were able to test out the device to see if it would work for you; unfortunately it was a disappointing experience. I'm a huge fan of the iPhone SE. While it doesn't have the latest bells and whistles (second-gen Touch ID, 3D Touch or OIS) it offers just enough (Touch ID, Apple Pay and runs the latest version iOS smoothly) to offer a great experience. I wish I could use a 4" screen but now it's just too small of screen real estate for me.

3. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

In regards to the yellow screen, I definitely do think it does exist with certain devices. But two things come to mind, the iPhone 7 does have a warmer display, but also, there been any reports where the yellow screen is due to the adhesive and typically dissipates with a few weeks of usage. I'm not saying that's the case for every phone, but I've seen many for members say that it ultimately goes away after a few weeks.

4. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

I've heard of this as well, AFTER I got my matte black 7. Fortunately I did not get the suffering yellow screen issue that has been reported. Apparently it is not completely common.

5. dave2010 macrumors regular

My iPhone 7 screen is far clearer and brighter than the SE I sold 2 months ago. If this isn't the case for someone else they should definitely return it as faulty device like you did, but even if it is after 14 days.

6. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I actually just made the same switch but I went with a silver ip7. Love the upgrade and no screen issue.

7. betasp macrumors member

Both the IP7 and SE have the same pixel density (326ppi). One should not look any 'clearer' than the other (though I don't understand what that adjective means in this context).

When people describe displays as more yellow, or whatever, this is also a bit weird to me. Maybe there is a margin of error in the color temperatures, but I am not sure how that could be. OSX should be controlling the color temperature of the displays. That's how the iPad pro adapts with True Tone.

I do agree with others that if it doesn't work for you, certainly take it back. I also had an SE and swapped for a 7. I didn't sit with both side by side to compare. I'm just not that kind of person. The 7 was fine, as was the 6 and 5 and 4s I had before it.

Good luck with your SE and perhaps with the 8, you won't see the same defects.

8. foxconn Suspended

The issue is not your iPhone 7 being too yellow, it's the SE that is too "blue" (incorrect calibration) and it makes your 7 appear yellow.

Either way, your eyes get used to it and you can move on with life. If you can't, you can also adjust the display warmth in settings and make it inaccurate.

This is another problem created due to lack of knowledge by people on here and the internet.

9. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

This is what I originally thought reading this, but then he said he compared it to the rose gold and silver iPhone's 7 and he didn't see the issue. I mean it's possible those models are too blue, but either way it sounds like these displays are not consistent across the line according to what OP said.

10. cc999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly my point. Is it worth another try at purchasing another IP7 at a different Apple store?
    The last 2 were purchased at different stores also.

This is pretty accurate as what I saw with the 7 in the middle.

Attached Files:

11. foxconn Suspended

12. cc999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Believe me I am very aware of night shift. I even switched it to Night shift on and off several times, with night shift on it was horrendous.

CC
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2017 ---
    If anyone happens to go to an apple store can you please check the screens of the Matt/Jet Black vs Silver/Rose Gold models and tell me if the Black ones look yellow/pink. I definitely saw this in the Apple store when I was there.

CC

13. JGRE, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

Night shift activated? Have a mat black one with no issues
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2017 ---
    It must be the "raise to wake" :)

14. cc999 thread starter macrumors 6502

NO Night shift NOT activated. What exact model did you get? My last 2 were the SIM FREE Matt Black 128 gb IP7.

CC

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The SE would probably look sharper as it is a smaller display.

16. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

I have 2 128GB Matt black via Vodafone, both no issues.

17. dave2010 macrumors regular

To quote from one of the reviews on the subject "And yet this is arguably also the iPhone 7’s greatest advantage. Despite having identical pixel densities, the iPhone 7 has a much brighter display than the iPhone SE and its support for what Apple dubs ‘Wide Color’ (the DCI-P3 color space) means it is far more colour accurate as well. In fact it’s the most colour accurate smartphone display in the world." https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...-iphone-se-whats-the-difference/#4fa9bc463717

18. cc999 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can tell you this at full brightness my SE was brighter than the 7's I had. They must have been defective.

CC

19. Shane_Paradis macrumors newbie

20. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

My iPhone 6 VS my iPhone 7 Plus on full brightness

Attached Files:

21. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

It's Actually astonishing how much brighter the iPhone 7 Plus is over your iPhone 6, and the 1080 P screen really shows.

22. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

My 7 plus is definitely more yellow than my 6s. Not enough to really bug me though thankfully.

23. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yeah but apparently the 6 screen is superior to the 7 so go figure.

24. I7guy macrumors G5

For whatever it's worth all of the displays on our family's iPhones, 4, 5s, 6, 6s, and now 7 all have essentially the same color characteristics.

25. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

This has been my experience as well. I've always had a very consistent experience with iPhones.